Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12856
View in linear mode

Subject: "Box connect terminals melted......" Previous topic | Next topic
2GeclipseRSJul-19-07 11:31 AM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12856, "Box connect terminals melted......"

My amp went it to protection when i was playing in the driveway today.

I check the amp. Amp wasn't too hot. I check the voice coils.....no scrapes. I check the terminal. My oh my! The terminals got so hot that the plastic melted and the terminals touched.

My friend who does custom car audio said those things are crap and showed me what he does to his boxes..... Hole+grommet+ wire the signial from the amp directly to the subs' voice coil terminal. I'll give that a try when i get home from work tomorrow.

I still dont see how the hell it melted like that. I was pushing my amp pretty hard but it's only an mtx 801D running at 70% gain to two kenwood base model 10's at 2 ohms mono.

Goodnight sweetheart...yes its time to go...bum bum bum bum bum...good night sweetheart yes I am one little a$$hole......bum bum bum bum....

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Box connect terminals melted......, ivan300, Aug-05-07 09:41 PM, #1
RE: Box connect terminals melted......, RoninEclipse2G, Aug-08-07 06:58 AM, #2
      RE: Box connect terminals melted......, ivan300, Aug-22-07 08:48 AM, #3
           RE: Box connect terminals melted......, Fallen4ng31, Aug-23-07 05:42 AM, #4
                RE: Box connect terminals melted......, Fallen4ng31, Aug-23-07 08:46 AM, #5
                     RE: Box connect terminals melted......, 2GeclipseRS, Aug-23-07 12:17 PM, #6
                          RE: Box connect terminals melted......, 2GeclipseRS, Jan-22-08 01:25 PM, #7

ivan300Aug-05-07 09:41 PM
Member since Dec 15th 2006
103 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12862, "RE: Box connect terminals melted......"
In response to Reply # 0

well if its a cheap connection no wonder it melted. There are a lot of amps running thought it which will fry weak connections.

If the box is ported i would suggest plugging that hole and just running the cables through the port.

if the box is sealed do what your friend suggested.

99 Eclipse GS(with Turbo),Turbonetics 60-1 0.63a/r, MS II v3, 3" Turbo back exhaust, GSX Brakes, Wiseco 8.8:1 Pistons, Eagle Rods, Crane 14s, SS Valves, Felpro Gasket Kit, Obx Lsd, Southbend Fe Clutch, Ebay Short Shifter, Pioneer Avic-N3, 12" Alpine Type-R

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RoninEclipse2GAug-08-07 06:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#12863, "RE: Box connect terminals melted......"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by ivan300
If the box is ported i would suggest plugging that hole and just running the cables through the port.

Do NOT do that! by changing the size and shape of the port it could throw off the sound of the subs, not to mention rattle a ton from loose wires bouncing around.

do the method your friend told you about

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

ivan300Aug-22-07 08:48 AM
Member since Dec 15th 2006
103 posts,
#12865, "RE: Box connect terminals melted......"
In response to Reply # 2

haha are you serious, the tiny speaker cables barely take up any volume. They might affect the tuning frequency by 0.25 hz ahah.

Ive built several speaker boxes for myself and friends and i have always routed the wires this way with no issues.

99 Eclipse GS(with Turbo),Turbonetics 60-1 0.63a/r, MS II v3, 3" Turbo back exhaust, GSX Brakes, Wiseco 8.8:1 Pistons, Eagle Rods, Crane 14s, SS Valves, Felpro Gasket Kit, Obx Lsd, Southbend Fe Clutch, Ebay Short Shifter, Pioneer Avic-N3, 12" Alpine Type-R

Fallen4ng31Aug-23-07 05:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#12866, "RE: Box connect terminals melted......"
In response to Reply # 3

If you're in a hot climate area, (Or you have the amp mounted somewhere in your hatch/trunk area) You might also look into a 3rd party amp cooler. I'm in Florida with a 1000W Sony. Because of the serious lack of airflow into the back, I just made my own. You can use any PC fan but 120mm Antecs work great, and don't produce too much noise. I've also heard of routing A/C into the back to keep amps cool. I guess it just depends on how much work you want to put into the project.

Best of luck!

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

Fallen4ng31Aug-23-07 08:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#12867, "RE: Box connect terminals melted......"
In response to Reply # 4

Ok, I'm an idiot, I didn't see it was your speaker box terminals that melted. Sorry guys.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

2GeclipseRSAug-23-07 12:17 PM
781 posts,
#12868, "RE: Box connect terminals melted......"
In response to Reply # 5

That peice of shit box is getting tossed in a little while.

I'm having a box built for four 12's soon. These subs have been sitting in my room for 2 months now doing nothing.... I'll probably sell the box and subs later for something smaller/lighter.

When i move my battery to the hatch, i'll cut a hole in the case cover for a fan, slot it so it can vent and raise it up about a 1/2 inch.

It gets hot waaaaay too quick. Now, i dont even bump hard.

1. I blew one of my kenwoods.

2. The other one is running at 4 ohms and distorts bad at anything over 25% gain.

I got around the terminals by drilling a hole just big enough for the speaker wire and haven't had any problems since. If i didn't get the box and subs for free, i wouldn't have them. They're crap.

Goodnight sweetheart...yes its time to go...bum bum bum bum bum...good night sweetheart yes I am one little a$$hole......bum bum bum bum....

2GeclipseRSJan-22-08 01:25 PM
781 posts,
#12940, "RE: Box connect terminals melted......"
In response to Reply # 6
Jan-22-08 01:28 PM by 2GeclipseRS

Got a new system

It works fabulous.

2 12" powerbass subs with a 600 watt american pro amp in a square port, dual chambered box. Not sure of the volume but it takes up most of the hatch.

It's louder than the two razor 10's getting a full 400 watts per sub in a sealed box and it was all free from a friend who wasn't using them.

Lock thread plz.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12856 Previous topic | Next topic