Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12527
View in linear mode

Subject: "Stock Speaker Size..." Previous topic | Next topic
honcal98rsSep-24-06 01:30 PM
Member since Mar 21st 2002
296 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12527, "Stock Speaker Size..."

I've looked around and I couldn't find any answers. So, I was wondering if anybody could tell me the size of the stock speakers on my RS. Just in case, I have one in each door panel. 1 on each side by the back seat. I'm about to upgrade and I need info. Thanx very much!

Brian
West Melbourne, FL

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS(White)
1965 Ford Falcon

Mods: AF/X UDP, NGK-BKR5E spark plugs, Custom CAI. Best et...16.31 @ 85.50 mph with custom ram air intake.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Stock Speaker Size..., MitsuEclipseGS, Sep-24-06 02:31 PM, #1
RE: Stock Speaker Size..., StreetRacer_21, Sep-25-06 03:40 PM, #2
      RE: Stock Speaker Size..., Moderatorsd_eclipse, Sep-26-06 09:49 AM, #3
           RE: Stock Speaker Size..., honcal98rs, Sep-26-06 10:09 AM, #4
                RE: Stock Speaker Size..., Sorry_i_Win, Sep-26-06 02:39 PM, #5
                     RE: Stock Speaker Size..., hookduphatch, Sep-27-06 06:59 AM, #6
                          RE: Stock Speaker Size..., hookduphatch, Sep-27-06 07:00 AM, #7
                          RE: Stock Speaker Size..., Sorry_i_Win, Sep-29-06 06:29 PM, #8
                               RE: Stock Speaker Size..., hookduphatch, Sep-29-06 07:17 PM, #9
                               RE: Stock Speaker Size..., StreetRacer_21, Oct-02-06 12:41 PM, #10
                                    RE: Stock Speaker Size..., WIDECLIPSE, Oct-03-06 05:56 AM, #11
                                         RE: Stock Speaker Size..., oMInOUs97RS, Oct-06-06 09:38 PM, #12
                                              RE: Stock Speaker Size..., LeakyMitsu, Oct-15-06 01:53 PM, #13
                                                   RE: Stock Speaker Size..., Malenko, Oct-17-06 04:25 AM, #14
                                                        RE: Stock Speaker Size..., XMasta19, Oct-17-06 12:10 PM, #15
                                                             RE: Stock Speaker Size..., TeamDR1665, Oct-17-06 01:54 PM, #16
                                                                  RE: Stock Speaker Size..., 98 coupe, Oct-18-06 04:35 AM, #17
                                                                       RE: Stock Speaker Size..., Redmachine, Nov-28-06 03:02 PM, #18
RE: Stock Speaker Size..., xlr82x, Dec-19-06 04:42 AM, #19
RE: Stock Speaker Size..., 95grayTsi, Feb-07-07 10:42 AM, #20
      RE: Stock Speaker Size..., highviewpunk, Feb-09-07 03:12 PM, #21
RE: Stock Speaker Size..., korn89, Apr-17-07 04:34 PM, #22
RE: Stock Speaker Size..., Fallen4ng31, Aug-24-07 09:47 AM, #23
      RE: Stock Speaker Size..., RoninEclipse2G, Aug-27-07 05:59 AM, #24
RE: Stock Speaker Size..., dalesmitsu, Sep-29-07 08:59 AM, #25
RE: Stock Speaker Size..., Moderatorteklein, Dec-08-07 09:14 AM, #26

MitsuEclipseGSSep-24-06 02:31 PM
Member since Dec 30th 2003
375 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12528, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 0

I believe the fronts are 5 1/4 and the rears are 6x9.
-Todd

Star Stage II, Greddy Type S, ADFX 3" DP, blah blah blah

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

StreetRacer_21Sep-25-06 03:40 PM
Member since Dec 08th 2005
220 posts,
#12529, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by MitsuEclipseGS
I believe the fronts are 5 1/4 and the rears are 6x9. -Todd

I'm pretty sure they are 5.25 all the way around... Maybe I tryed something biger than 6x9 but I think that was what I had and they don't bolt straight up

Moderatorsd_eclipseSep-26-06 09:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
#12531, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 2
Sep-26-06 09:49 AM by sd_eclipse

Correct, It's 5.25 all the way around for the RS.

IIRC,

RS + GS non infinity systems had 5.25 all around.

GS infinity systems still had 5.25 in the rear and front.

GST + GSX infinity or non infinity had 6x9's in the rear and 5.25 up front.

I'm not 100% positive on that but I think that was the breakdown.

honcal98rsSep-26-06 10:09 AM
Member since Mar 21st 2002
296 posts,
#12532, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 3

I went to circuit city to see if they had any info. According to their books, the speakers on the doors are 6.5 and the rears are 6x9s. Now I'm not sure. Does anybody know if this is true?

Brian
West Melbourne, FL

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS(White)
1965 Ford Falcon

Mods: AF/X UDP, NGK-BKR5E spark plugs, Custom CAI. Best et...16.31 @ 85.50 mph with custom ram air intake.***That was with my old engine. I hydrolocked it, so now I have a completely stock engine***

Sorry_i_WinSep-26-06 02:39 PM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
#12533, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 4
Sep-26-06 02:44 PM by Sorry_i_Win

Originally posted by honcal98rs
I went to circuit city to see if they had any info. According to their books, the speakers on the doors are 6.5 and the rears are 6x9s. Now I'm not sure. Does anybody know if this is true? Brian West Melbourne, FL 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS(White) 1965 Ford Falcon Mods: AF/X UDP, NGK-BKR5E spark plugs, Custom CAI. Best et...16.31 @ 85.50 mph with custom ram air intake.***That was with my old engine. I hydrolocked it, so now I have a completely stock engine***

The rear speakers are definitely not 6x9's even tho the grills make it look that way. I'm almost positive they are 5.25" in the rear and doors as was already stated. Circuit city = Dumb. Actually, according to crutchfield.com, it can fit 5.25, 6.5, or 6.75 in the doors. I dunno.. 5.25" all around sounds like the safest bet to me.

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

hookduphatchSep-27-06 06:59 AM
Member since Jul 10th 2004
552 posts,
#12534, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 5

i replaced the speakers in my rs earlier this year. 6.5 all the way around. gs and up went to a 6x9 in the rear, but the fronts are 6.5's

95 Eclipse RS - Sold and In Montana Now
Project 95 GSX - In Full swing.

hookduphatchSep-27-06 07:00 AM
552 posts,
#12535, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 6

i know this for a fact about the front speakers. as for the rears, we thought it took 6x9's too, as that's what my shops info pointed toward. when we got the grills off it was 6.5's.

Sorry_i_WinSep-29-06 06:29 PM
Member since Jul 10th 2002
1910 posts,
#12542, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by hookduphatch
i replaced the speakers in my rs earlier this year. 6.5 all the way around. gs and up went to a 6x9 in the rear, but the fronts are 6.5's

Actually I have a 96 GS and its definitely not 6x9's in the rear... so unless they were changed before I bought it I dunno.

Anyone know anyone who can help me tune this in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg)?

hookduphatchSep-29-06 07:17 PM
552 posts,
#12543, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 8

just going by my buddy's car. could be wrong on that. but anyway... lol.

StreetRacer_21Oct-02-06 12:41 PM
Member since Dec 08th 2005
220 posts,
#12544, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by Sorry_i_Win
Originally posted by hookduphatch i replaced the speakers in my rs earlier this year. 6.5 all the way around. gs and up went to a 6x9 in the rear, but the fronts are 6.5's
Actually I have a 96 GS and its definitely not 6x9's in the rear... so unless they were changed before I bought it I dunno.

Same here...

WIDECLIPSEOct-03-06 05:56 AM
Member since Apr 14th 2004
1528 posts,
#12545, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 10

I think the only way to know for sure is to pull the panels and find out. There are too many options differing between years, trim, and type of system to know for sure.

-Roman

oMInOUs97RSOct-06-06 09:38 PM
Member since Mar 22nd 2002
394 posts,
#12547, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 11

From my experience, 8 years installing, RS has 5.25" all around. Depending on how much you want to modify, 6.5 and 6x9 can be installed. GS with infinity has 5.25 or 6x9 rears, I've seen both. GST/GSX has 6x9 rears.
Hope that helps.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
-Albert Einstein

LeakyMitsuOct-15-06 01:53 PM
Member since Nov 15th 2002
311 posts,
#12555, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 12

my rs has 5.25 in the front and 6.5 in the rear. my car has the 6 speaker system, but not the infinity amp and all that. maybe it depends on what package your car has?

MalenkoOct-17-06 04:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
#12556, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 13

I replaced my rear blown speakers with shitty Xpolde 6x9s
I have an RS and they "fit" but I rigged them. I will be replacing them with higher quality 6.5s when the time and money allows. The front speakers are 5.25s

XMasta19Oct-17-06 12:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#12561, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 14

Kenwood Excelon oversized 6.5's all around, I too work at a shop...they fit 6x9's can be hacked in there, but not really worth it if you're using any type of subs for bass.

-Xavier-
95 Eclipse RS-T...lost in the frozen tundra

TeamDR1665Oct-17-06 01:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#12562, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 15

Pretty sure mine came with the 5.25"s all around. They aren't much. 6x9s will fit in the rear pods with some modification. Have a Dremel ready. You don't want to dick around with a box cutter or vice grips...

98 coupeOct-18-06 04:35 AM
Member since Oct 18th 2006
5 posts,
#12564, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 16

I replaced mine about a month ago and I put 6.5 JL audios in the front and 5.25 JL in the rear with no mods. Sounds very nice!

RedmachineNov-28-06 03:02 PM
Member since Apr 01st 2004
3 posts,
#12593, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 17

my 97 GS
in the front has 6.5 and the rears had 6.75
Now I have since changed the rears to 6x9.... I regret it every day.
I went to every site and every aurdio place, they told me that the fronts were 5.25 and the backs were 6x9... but the last time I checked 6x9 werent round. sorry to add one more bit of confusion

xlr82xDec-19-06 04:42 AM
Member since Jan 06th 2006
130 posts,
#12617, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't remember the size that I put up in the front in the doors but I know that I put infinity 6x8's in the back and they fitted like a glove.

95grayTsiFeb-07-07 10:42 AM
Member since Jan 07th 2007
35 posts,
#12665, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 19

i have a 99 gs, with infinity , and i used MMats 6.75 or 170mm speakers in all 4 spots...just my 2 pennies

highviewpunkFeb-09-07 03:12 PM
Member since Sep 24th 2006
44 posts,
#12667, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 20

i have a RS and it is 5.25 all the way around. you can mod the panels and brackets to accept 6x9's in which case i did. im stuck on alpine type s for some reason

korn89Apr-17-07 04:34 PM
Member since Jul 29th 2006
46 posts,
#12777, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 0

5 1/4

Fallen4ng31Aug-24-07 09:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#12870, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 22

I used Sony XS-S160CX (6.5) all the way around. the brackets don't match so you'll have to do a little drilling.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

RoninEclipse2GAug-27-07 05:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#12872, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 23

Having worked at a shop, there were actually 3 sizes of speakers used.

base RS cars had 5.25 all the way around, this was if your car originally came with a radio, maybe a cassette player.

RS with some options (power doors) may have had 6.5 in the front, still 5.25 rear

GS usually had 6.5 front (I have seen 5.25) and an oversized 6.5 (more like a 6.75, but noone makes a 6.75)

turbo cars usually had the same as GS, but occasionally the Infinity package sound system had 6x9 rears. infinity also used the speakers in the dash (there in every trim level but not hooked up for some stupid reason)

a Dremel will help if you want 6x9 in the rears, but don't go too big on magnet size unless you want to pound the inner fender to fit with a hammer

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

dalesmitsuSep-29-07 08:59 AM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#12886, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by honcal98rs
I've looked around and I couldn't find any answers. So, I was wondering if anybody could tell me the size of the stock speakers on my RS. Just in case, I have one in each door panel. 1 on each side by the back seat. I'm about to upgrade and I need info. Thanx very much! Brian West Melbourne, FL 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS(White) 1965 Ford Falcon Mods: AF/X UDP, NGK-BKR5E spark plugs, Custom CAI. Best et...16.31 @ 85.50 mph with custom ram air intake.

Also try CRUTCHFIELD if nobody mention them to you

ModeratortekleinDec-08-07 09:14 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#12930, "RE: Stock Speaker Size..."
In response to Reply # 25

I just made some simple wood bracket to fit my 6.5 Image Dynamics in, but be careful, if it the tweeter sticks out you wont be able to put the door panels back on unless you drill a 2.5" hole in the door panel

Im currently looking for options to clean that part up

But they sound AMAZING! The magnets are huge, speakers weigh about 5-6lbs a piece.

My car had 5.25s all the way around, now have 6.5s with some 3/8" thick brackets that took five minutes to make

1998 Base RS.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12527 Previous topic | Next topic