Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11029
View in linear mode

Subject: "carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?" Previous topic | Next topic
MalenkoMay-08-05 10:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11029, "carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
May-08-05 10:39 AM by Malenko

I was thinkin of getting a 5.1 set up and cutting the speakers off and wiring in the facvtory speakers instead of the PC ones, using an aftermarket radio harness.

Will it work, or sound like shit?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, EclipseTenzoR, May-08-05 01:39 PM, #1
RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, djtrickee, May-08-05 01:52 PM, #2
      RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, Ark, May-08-05 01:54 PM, #3
           RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, EclipseTenzoR, May-08-05 02:52 PM, #4
                RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, djtrickee, May-08-05 03:09 PM, #5
                     RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, a_miller_76, May-08-05 03:21 PM, #6
                     RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, EclipseTenzoR, May-08-05 03:23 PM, #7
                          RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, djtrickee, May-08-05 04:33 PM, #8
                               RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, EclipseTenzoR, May-09-05 04:01 AM, #9
                                    RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, a_miller_76, May-09-05 04:23 AM, #10
RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, siueclipse, May-09-05 04:27 AM, #11
RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, Malenko, May-09-05 05:16 AM, #12
      RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, a_miller_76, May-09-05 05:50 AM, #13
      RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, djtrickee, May-09-05 07:01 AM, #14
           RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, thedawg, May-10-05 06:21 AM, #15
           RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, Malenko, May-10-05 07:30 AM, #16
                RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, a_miller_76, May-10-05 09:17 AM, #17
                     RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, EclipseTenzoR, May-10-05 12:39 PM, #18
                          RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, siueclipse, May-11-05 06:08 PM, #19
                               RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, EclipseTenzoR, May-12-05 04:06 AM, #20
                               RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, siueclipse, May-12-05 05:38 AM, #21
                                    RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, djtrickee, May-12-05 05:42 AM, #22
                                         RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, siueclipse, May-12-05 06:42 AM, #23
                                              RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, djtrickee, May-12-05 07:53 AM, #24
                                                   RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, siueclipse, May-12-05 08:28 AM, #25
                                                        RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, djtrickee, May-12-05 09:21 AM, #26
                                                             RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, siueclipse, May-12-05 04:54 PM, #27
                                                                  RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, djtrickee, May-12-05 05:10 PM, #28
                               RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, Malenko, May-14-05 06:03 PM, #29
                                    RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?, siueclipse, May-15-05 09:26 AM, #30

EclipseTenzoRMay-08-05 01:39 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11032, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 0

Are you saying you want to use computer speakers in your car and wire them into the stock harness? Or are you saying you want to use the stock speakers and wire them into the computer through the microphone jack plugs. I'm sorta lost dude.. clarify your intentions

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

djtrickeeMay-08-05 01:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#11033, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 1

Lmao. Either way, it wont work. without power, there is no sound.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

ArkMay-08-05 01:54 PM
Member since Aug 31st 2004
1570 posts,
#11034, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 2

Sure there is, just squint really really hard.

forums.kaptainmyke.com/index.php?&act=garage&CODE=12&CID=8
- AGP CAI
- AGP EVM
- MOPAR Stage 1 ECU
- 500cc Injectors

And he wonders why he couldn't make her happy...and someone obviously hasnt moved on. lol

EclipseTenzoRMay-08-05 02:52 PM
2386 posts,
#11035, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 3

I think what he might be trying to say is he wants to power some type of speakers off of the computer itself. Like through the soundcard. This is just what I am gathering for the most part but have no idea what he wants to do with the speakers.

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

djtrickeeMay-08-05 03:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#11036, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by EclipseTenzoR
I think what he might be trying to say is he wants to power some type of speakers off of the computer itself. Like through the soundcard.

Lol. You can't do that either. If you are too cheap to buy a small amp or headunit then the carputer world definatly isn't for you. (not you tenzo... I just meant in general).

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com

a_miller_76May-08-05 03:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11037, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 5

"Computer speakers" have built in amps, so if you're trying to run your system off computer's sound card you still need an amp to get sound to your speakers. The output power of a sound card is equivilant to head phones.

EclipseTenzoRMay-08-05 03:23 PM
2386 posts,
#11038, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by djtrickee
Originally posted by EclipseTenzoR I think what he might be trying to say is he wants to power some type of speakers off of the computer itself. Like through the soundcard.
Lol. You can't do that either. If you are too cheap to buy a small amp or headunit then the carputer world definatly isn't for you. (not you tenzo... I just meant in general).

Yea, I totally agree where you are coming from, but for shits and giggles I could see just looking into what hes talking about to see if it would work. But if you have the money to dump $700 into a carputer an amp should not be a financial burden. Djtrickee enligten everyone with some pictures of your carputer setup if you have any. I never saw yours before but I have seen James's setup.

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

djtrickeeMay-08-05 04:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#11039, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 7

i will post some tomorrow. i am actually posting right now from in the car at the bar. lol. free hotspots rule. typing and driving does not rule.

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com

EclipseTenzoRMay-09-05 04:01 AM
2386 posts,
#11040, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 8

Your a bum! just play trickee.. Thats awesome though, this is something I deffintley want to look into but I want my setup to be really clean and factory looking, plus I don't want to wait for the damn thing to boot up for awhile. So until I see one in an Eclipse and use it I have little incentive to do it yet. But it's deffintley bad ass!

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

a_miller_76May-09-05 04:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11041, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 9

DJ's looks like an LCD panel mounted in the radio area. I never saw it turned on or operating, but from outside the car it looks like a simple flat LCD screen and is pretty nice. He also has a nice carbon fiber panel fabbed up to put over it when he's not in the car.

siueclipseMay-09-05 04:27 AM
Member since Nov 28th 2002
3504 posts,
#11042, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 0
May-09-05 04:31 AM by siueclipse

Originally posted by Malenko
I was thinkin of getting a 5.1 set up and cutting the speakers off and wiring in the facvtory speakers instead of the PC ones, using an aftermarket radio harness. Will it work, or sound like shit?

Unfortunatly you will need an amp.

And like it has been mentioned, a car computer will cost you some $$ so why not spend $100 on a cheap Pioneer amp to run everything for you. If you dont want to switch out your stock speakers, just get an amp that has high level inputs on it.

Im about to buy a headunit that has audio inputs on it. That way, I switch the headunit to aux or something to control the volume from there and have bass, treb, mid adjustability without having to screw with the amp all the time.

MalenkoMay-09-05 05:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
#11043, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 11

I meant cut the little PC speakers off and run the wires that went to the PC speakers to a headunit wiring harness. The speakers would have some power going to them, via the 5.1's small internal amp.

I have already bought the carputer, and the 7" touchscreen monitor, infact they are already installed into the car, but there is no sound, since thats the only thing I lack. I dont have a headunit, my friend borrowed and broke it (my car was down 8 months) I dont have a whole lot of extra money, being out on your own sucks, plus I just bought STAR stage II kit.

I was trying to come up with a temp solution that Id redo later, better

a_miller_76May-09-05 05:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11044, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 12

I meant cut the little PC speakers off and run the wires that went to the PC speakers to a headunit wiring harness. The speakers would have some power going to them, via the 5.1's small internal amp. I have already bought the carputer, and the 7" touchscreen monitor, infact they are already installed into the car, but there is no sound, since thats the only thing I lack. I dont have a headunit, my friend borrowed and broke it (my car was down 8 months) I dont have a whole lot of extra money, being out on your own sucks, plus I just bought STAR stage II kit. I was trying to come up with a temp solution that Id redo later, better

100% will not work. Don't waste your time doing this and half assing it, wait until you have the cash to do it right.

djtrickeeMay-09-05 07:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#11045, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 12

I meant cut the little PC speakers off and run the wires that went to the PC speakers to a headunit wiring harness. The speakers would have some power going to them, via the 5.1's small internal amp. I have already bought the carputer, and the 7" touchscreen monitor, infact they are already installed into the car, but there is no sound, since thats the only thing I lack. I dont have a headunit, my friend borrowed and broke it (my car was down 8 months) I dont have a whole lot of extra money, being out on your own sucks, plus I just bought STAR stage II kit. I was trying to come up with a temp solution that Id redo later, better

How much do those 5.1 speaker sets cost anyway? I mean, get a cheapo amp from a pawn shop or from radio shack even, its gonna cost the same. It might sound like major ass, but at least it will sound like something. Besides if you try and run a house speaker setup in your car then you will have to power it with AC110V... using what? an inverter? theres another 40-50 bux right there. Bad idea all around. I'm not even sure what impedence they are.

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com

thedawgMay-10-05 06:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#11051, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 14

Just a tip- setting your sound card main volume at 25% or less, and your .WAV volume at 100% gets you the cleanest signal. Ground the carputer, ground the sound card, and use capacitors inline with the ground if you hear any hum. Shield the RCA cable as well as possible, and get the shortest one possible.

But yeah, you definitely need an amp or headunit. At the very least you can feed the signal from the computer into a $20 FM transmitter used for CD Changers so you can use your factory headunit to power the speakers.

MalenkoMay-10-05 07:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
#11052, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 14

How much do those 5.1 speaker sets cost anyway? I mean, get a cheapo amp from a pawn shop or from radio shack even, its gonna cost the same. It might sound like major ass, but at least it will sound like something. Besides if you try and run a house speaker setup in your car then you will have to power it with AC110V... using what? an inverter? theres another 40-50 bux right there. Bad idea all around. I'm not even sure what impedence they are.

5.1 free , in my closet I have stereo speakers for my PC that sound fine, besides I run a cable over to my TRUE 5.1 surround sound system

power inverter: free, have had one for ages.

Local pawn shop had no amps, and Im weary of ebay.

any of you guys got an extra one or two laying around?

a_miller_76May-10-05 09:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#11053, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 16

Just ask yourself this. Do you want people to point and laugh saying, "OMG who rigged this shit in here?"

EclipseTenzoRMay-10-05 12:39 PM
2386 posts,
#11054, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 17

I don't want to be an asshole but I'm looking at it from all angles.. I suppose yes theoretically you can do this so if you want to then just do it. But its not the rite way to do it. And E-Bay is not intimdating just find someone with good feedback and you'll be ok, and if you use paypal and you get ripped a new ass, in most cases they resolve it and you get your money back. But you should'nt worry about being scammed if you find a good buyer.

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

siueclipseMay-11-05 06:08 PM
3504 posts,
#11074, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 18

Hey Malenko,

I have a 4 channel Pioneer amp that ive been using for like 3 years. I believe its 50 watts x 4 RMS. Works perfectly fine. Doesn't over heat or anything. It does have high level inputs, but you wont use them, youll use the RCA inputs.

Ill sell you this amp for $50 shipped with a guarentee that it will work for years to come.

I just bought a new JL 4 channel amp to replace it. My new amp should be here this week sometime.

Let me know if you are interested. Ill PM this to you as well...

James

EclipseTenzoRMay-12-05 04:06 AM
2386 posts,
#11076, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 19

Originally posted by siueclipse
Hey Malenko, I have a 4 channel Pioneer amp that ive been using for like 3 years. I believe its 50 watts x 4 RMS. Works perfectly fine. Doesn't over heat or anything. It does have high level inputs, but you wont use them, youll use the RCA inputs. Ill sell you this amp for $50 shipped with a guarentee that it will work for years to come. I just bought a new JL 4 channel amp to replace it. My new amp should be here this week sometime. Let me know if you are interested. Ill PM this to you as well... James

Rich Bastard.. Cough ... Cough.. Wish I could be doing all the stuff you do to your car. Your Eclipse is deffintley among one of my favorites. Did you change the setup in your trunk yet?

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

siueclipseMay-12-05 05:38 AM
3504 posts,
#11077, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 20

Originally posted by EclipseTenzoR
Originally posted by siueclipse Hey Malenko, I have a 4 channel Pioneer amp that ive been using for like 3 years. I believe its 50 watts x 4 RMS. Works perfectly fine. Doesn't over heat or anything. It does have high level inputs, but you wont use them, youll use the RCA inputs. Ill sell you this amp for $50 shipped with a guarentee that it will work for years to come. I just bought a new JL 4 channel amp to replace it. My new amp should be here this week sometime. Let me know if you are interested. Ill PM this to you as well... James
Rich Bastard.. Cough ... Cough.. Wish I could be doing all the stuff you do to your car. Your Eclipse is deffintley among one of my favorites. Did you change the setup in your trunk yet?

Yes I changed the setup. I have a single JL 10w3 mounted in the spare tire well which is on a custom board carpeted in black. My Amp, car computer and battery are all in the spare tire well.

djtrickeeMay-12-05 05:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#11078, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 21

Yes I changed the setup. I have a single JL 10w3 mounted in the spare tire well which is on a custom board carpeted in black. My Amp, car computer and battery are all in the spare tire well.

Are you running DriveSoft?

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com

siueclipseMay-12-05 06:42 AM
3504 posts,
#11080, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 22

media engine

djtrickeeMay-12-05 07:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#11081, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 23

I thought you were running DriveSoft.

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com

siueclipseMay-12-05 08:28 AM
3504 posts,
#11082, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 24

I thought you were running DriveSoft.

i had a copy and tried it out..

the software is shitty.... yeah lets click play mp3 and windows media player pops up.. lol

djtrickeeMay-12-05 09:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#11083, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 25
May-12-05 09:24 AM by djtrickee

i had a copy and tried it out.. the software is shitty.... yeah lets click play mp3 and windows media player pops up.. lol

Ahh.

I thought i read somewhere that you were using it or working for them or something. Guess I was wrong.

EDIT: here it is:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38184

EDIT #2:
what the...
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38184&page=2&pp=15

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com

siueclipseMay-12-05 04:54 PM
3504 posts,
#11086, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 26

wow what was awhile ago. i posted that and didn't go back.

ive had prottypes of that software no matter what this "developer" has said.

I simply made a call on behalf of my MOCCI Box company and said we were looking for software to distribute with our car computers. The person on the phone claimed to be a developer and while I was on the phone with him, he emailed me a link to a spot to download a version that they were still working on. This was way too long ago to remember.

djtrickeeMay-12-05 05:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#11088, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 27

I didnt even look at the dates.

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com

MalenkoMay-14-05 06:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
#11100, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 19

Hey Malenko, I have a 4 channel Pioneer amp that ive been using for like 3 years. I believe its 50 watts x 4 RMS. Works perfectly fine. Doesn't over heat or anything. It does have high level inputs, but you wont use them, youll use the RCA inputs. Ill sell you this amp for $50 shipped with a guarentee that it will work for years to come. I just bought a new JL 4 channel amp to replace it. My new amp should be here this week sometime. Let me know if you are interested. Ill PM this to you as well... James

gimme a couple days, some other more pressing issues have come up in my personal life.

rest easy fellahs, Im going to go the amp route, I did alot of reading on mp3car.com and learned alot. Its just a matter of money right now, well that and complete lack of love life, but thats neither here nor there.

siueclipseMay-15-05 09:26 AM
3504 posts,
#11101, "RE: carputer, with NO head unit and no AMP, possible?"
In response to Reply # 29

no worries man, you know where to find me. im not openly selling the amp.. so.. just get back to me if you want it.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11029 Previous topic | Next topic