Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #10162
View in linear mode

Subject: "when building custom boxes with fiberglass" Previous topic | Next topic
coppereclipse95Dec-14-04 11:23 AM
Member since Apr 29th 2002
1068 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10162, "when building custom boxes with fiberglass"

While I was thinking a setup in my head, I hit a bump. When you build your box with fiberglass, how do you match/connect wood with fiberglass? Do you just fiberglass over the mdf boards? Do I need to do anything tricky to join them strongly? If you have detailed pics of how you mated the wood with fiberglass, that would be great! Because I'm thinking about put 2 10s in the trunk, so I was going to mount the subs to a board and use fiberglass for everywhere else. I was just thinking about putting few layers on top of the board, but wasn't sure if it will be strong enough. I just want a solid/leak free box. Any ideas?

1995 Eclipse RS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass, widebodyeclipse, Dec-14-04 12:50 PM, #1
RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass, SPL_Eclipse, Dec-14-04 04:21 PM, #2
      RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass, eclipse982nrRST, Dec-15-04 01:49 AM, #3
           RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass, widebodyeclipse, Dec-15-04 12:05 PM, #4
                RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass, eclipse982nrRST, Dec-15-04 02:25 PM, #5
                     RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass, widebodyeclipse, Dec-16-04 01:53 PM, #6
                          RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass, eclipse982nrRST, Dec-16-04 02:06 PM, #7
                               RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass, coppereclipse95, Dec-17-04 05:04 AM, #8
                                    RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass, widebodyeclipse, Dec-17-04 07:32 AM, #9
                                         RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass, eclipse982nrRST, Dec-17-04 04:03 PM, #10
                                              RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass, BumpinTalon, Dec-17-04 04:32 PM, #11
                                                   RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass, widebodyeclipse, Dec-18-04 03:55 AM, #12
                                                   RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass, eclipse982nrRST, Dec-18-04 04:25 PM, #13
                                                        RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass, BumpinTalon, Dec-18-04 05:00 PM, #14
                                                             RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass, SPL_Eclipse, Dec-18-04 05:34 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass, eclipse982nrRST, Dec-19-04 02:28 AM, #16
                                                                       RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass, BumpinTalon, Dec-19-04 03:57 PM, #17

widebodyeclipseDec-14-04 12:50 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2002
535 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10164, "RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass"
In response to Reply # 0
Dec-14-04 12:55 PM by widebodyeclipse

what i would do is to build the box for the 10s all but the top. then cut speaker rings for the 10s and mount them however. then i took some 40 grit sand paper and ruffed up the surfaces where the mat and resign was gong to cover so to get a good bite on it. when u stretch some cloth (use a cottom blanket) and staple it to the wood. make sure that u stretch it good, less ripples will save some time) soak it with resin. then u want to layer the glasson top probably about 1/4 of an inch total to be strong. probably add 3 or 4 layers of mat over the blanket to be strong. dont b shy with the resign, makes a mess but you want to load it on and make sure to lay it evenly so u dont get andy air pockets use a paintbrush and dab at it. then i would let dry then scuff with the 40 grit again and load filler on it to smooth out any riples. hope that helps.

t3/t4 setup, je pistone, eagle rods,aem cam gears, crane cams, port and polished head w swirl polished valves, avcr, autometer gauges to be installed, kaminari widebody kit shaved rain seals, door handles, tail lights, relocated gas cap, double humped hood, 20in weld evo wheels, air ride, custom fiberglass work (dash interior) more to come just not enough time

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

SPL_EclipseDec-14-04 04:21 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#10165, "RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass"
In response to Reply # 1

also...use staples or glue to secure the fabric to the MDF and glass away.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

eclipse982nrRSTDec-15-04 01:49 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#10166, "RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass"
In response to Reply # 2

yup, just stretch that shit out, i use fleece, staple it down to the mdf then just start loading the resin on with like 3-4 layers like widebody said. then instead of using body filler, i spray a white or purple gel coat with a spray gun because then there is no much sanding at all left to do and its alot stronger than any body filler. i was always afraid of some bondo or something cracking with some decent hitting subs so i use gel coats instead of filler after i apply all the glass. usually though, your first 1 or 2 boxes turn out like shit since yuor not really sure of what your doing, atleast thats what hapened to me, lol.
heres what one of my many of boxes i have made turned out like...

GOOOOOOOOD LUCK !

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

widebodyeclipseDec-15-04 12:05 PM
535 posts,
#10167, "RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass"
In response to Reply # 3

did u have to buy a gel gun for that or did u use a spray gun with a big tip on it? also what kind of gel coating did u use. i was thinking going that route to finish up the glassed interior, but heard that u need a special gun and all that shit was expensive.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2134181717&mode=slideshow
t3/t4 setup, je pistone, eagle rods,aem cam gears, crane cams, port and polished head w swirl polished valves, avcr, autometer gauges to be installed, kaminari widebody kit shaved rain seals, door handles, tail lights, relocated gas cap, double humped hood, house of kolors candybrandywine 20in weld evo wheels, air ride, custom fiberglass work (dash interior) more to come just not enough time

eclipse982nrRSTDec-15-04 02:25 PM
6314 posts,
#10168, "RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass"
In response to Reply # 4

i use big tipped guns. i actually bought them from summit racing. they are like 150 bucks a piece. as for the gel coat, i have a cheap purple gel coat that i bought off ebay in a 5 gallon jug for 60 bucks and the shit sucks and then i have a super ass nice white gel coat that i bought from a local auto body shop for $249 for a 3 gallon jug. dood, its soo worth it though, barely any sanding at all. i spray it on and it smooths out the whole rough fglass. then all i do use a DA sander with some 120grit and in 20 minutes, its ready for paint!

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

widebodyeclipseDec-16-04 01:53 PM
535 posts,
#10169, "RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass"
In response to Reply # 5

no shit.. so u dont need a special gel gun. tight i will definately check into it.
thanks

t3/t4 setup, je pistone, eagle rods,aem cam gears, crane cams, port and polished head w swirl polished valves, avcr, autometer gauges to be installed, kaminari widebody kit shaved rain seals, door handles, tail lights, relocated gas cap, double humped hood, house of kolors candybrandywine 20in weld evo wheels, air ride, custom fiberglass work (dash interior) more to come just not enough time

eclipse982nrRSTDec-16-04 02:06 PM
6314 posts,
#10170, "RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass"
In response to Reply # 6

no, the gel coat is only a little thicker than resin.
i dont even use paint brushes anymore for applying resin. i bought a $15 dollar spray gun from big lots and thats what i use to actually spray the resin. it works good actually. after i spray the coat of resin on, i got this shit called 'red thinder' cleaner, and i spray that thru the gun and bam, its clean again. 2 sprays of resin thru a gun is equiv to like 4 coats of resin with a brush. but ya, just get the thicker tipped guns for gel coats, its fucking amazing. oh ya, when i was looking thru your pics in your sig, i noticed you glassed your whole interior together, lol. like the rear piece you made to the quarter panel panels and the rear window triangles. how the hell did you get that out to paint it? or did you have it painted inside the car? lol, just curious tho. it looks amazing tho, props to ya!

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

coppereclipse95Dec-17-04 05:04 AM
Member since Apr 29th 2002
1068 posts,
#10172, "RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass"
In response to Reply # 7

widebodyeclipse, do you have the finished pic of your interior?

1995 Eclipse RS

widebodyeclipseDec-17-04 07:32 AM
535 posts,
#10173, "RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass"
In response to Reply # 8

no finished pics yet still making sure it is all smoothed out to paint. yeah we will have to paint it inside the car, that will be a bitch especially with candy paint. i did all the glass work and smoothing in inside the car. we used the origional panels and drilled holes all around it so the marglass would seep in and grab ahold, neat trick i had no idea, but works or else it would pull away from the plastic. then used filler to smooth all the edges and make 1 solid piece. the whole back in is one pieced together. i will get shots this weekend.
pain in the ass to say the least.

eclipse982nrRSTDec-17-04 04:03 PM
6314 posts,
#10174, "RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass"
In response to Reply # 9

i agree with that, pain in the ass i bet man. looks super nice though. ya when you drill holes thru, the shit seeps right thru and then gets a good grab of the plastic and shit since it doesnt stick to plastic and vinyl and shit ya know.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

BumpinTalonDec-17-04 04:32 PM
Member since Mar 23rd 2004
2381 posts,
#10175, "RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass"
In response to Reply # 10

what are you going to do if your fuel pump ever dies and you need to change it?? have you got some way of reaching it? I don't remember if your box came all the way over to where the front of the back seat usually is, though, maybe it won't be an issue.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

widebodyeclipseDec-18-04 03:55 AM
535 posts,
#10176, "RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass"
In response to Reply # 11

we used cut outs in the space to access the fp and all. there is going to be a piece of plexi to act as the floor for the batterys to sit on and once they are out the plexi is removed and walla.
glad i did some planning on this one, usually i would just go to town and mess shit up.

eclipse982nrRSTDec-18-04 04:25 PM
6314 posts,
#10178, "RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by BumpinTalon
what are you going to do if your fuel pump ever dies and you need to change it?? have you got some way of reaching it? I don't remember if your box came all the way over to where the front of the back seat usually is, though, maybe it won't be an issue.

"MOST" of us use our heads before we do things and talk out loud, realizing what we are about to say/do....
notice how i said "most"

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

BumpinTalonDec-18-04 05:00 PM
2381 posts,
#10179, "RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
Originally posted by BumpinTalon what are you going to do if your fuel pump ever dies and you need to change it?? have you got some way of reaching it? I don't remember if your box came all the way over to where the front of the back seat usually is, though, maybe it won't be an issue.
"MOST" of us use our heads before we do things and talk out loud, realizing what we are about to say/do.... notice how i said "most"

why are you trying to start fights?

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

SPL_EclipseDec-18-04 05:34 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#10180, "RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass"
In response to Reply # 14

seriously, that comment was fucked up.

its strange that it was brought up...in my old eclipse there was no way for me to access the fuel pump without destroying my box, lol.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

eclipse982nrRSTDec-19-04 02:28 AM
6314 posts,
#10181, "RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass"
In response to Reply # 15

although that was a decent question from you bumpintalon, i just like picking on you. i will stop i guess, just until you say something stupid again like the whole air ride thing. its in the past i guess. i will be nice

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

BumpinTalonDec-19-04 03:57 PM
2381 posts,
#10182, "RE: when building custom boxes with fiberglass"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
although that was a decent question from you bumpintalon, i just like picking on you. i will stop i guess, just until you say something stupid again like the whole air ride thing. its in the past i guess. i will be nice

I gave you props without making fun of anyone in your rims decision thread. Merry Christmas

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #10162 Previous topic | Next topic