Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11639
View in linear mode

Subject: "Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter" Previous topic | Next topic
FlyinEsiOct-29-05 11:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11639, "Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter"

I'm installing a power inverter into my car to have a regular power outlet inside and i want to run an inline fuse straight to the battery. What amp size fuse should I go for? The inverter is only 150 watts and already has a 20amp fuse built in, but I just want to make sure I don't fry anything.

Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter, Blk95GS, Oct-29-05 03:20 PM, #1
RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter, FlyinEsi, Oct-29-05 04:18 PM, #2
      RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter, Blk95GS, Oct-29-05 04:33 PM, #3
           RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter, FlyinEsi, Oct-29-05 05:32 PM, #4
                RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter, Blk95GS, Oct-29-05 05:54 PM, #5
                     RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter, FlyinEsi, Oct-29-05 06:02 PM, #6
                          RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter, SPL_Eclipse, Oct-30-05 02:00 PM, #7
                               RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter, RoughRider01, Dec-02-05 07:42 AM, #8
                                    RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter, Blk95GS, Dec-06-05 05:36 PM, #9
                                         RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter, Blk95GS, Dec-08-05 06:19 PM, #10
                                              RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jan-05-06 10:35 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter, SPL_Eclipse, Jan-07-06 07:40 PM, #12

Blk95GSOct-29-05 03:20 PM
Member since Jan 22nd 2002
214 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11640, "RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm sure others will have a more professional answer... but I'd go with something like 40 or 50, that way the inverter isn't going to pop the fuse (running normally). And if you do ground your power lead on accident at the inverter - no fires.
Where are you mounting this? Pics would be nice too, I've been looking for a stealthy place to run one of these in the 2g.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

FlyinEsiOct-29-05 04:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#11641, "RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Blk95GS
Where are you mounting this? Pics would be nice too, I've been looking for a stealthy place to run one of these in the 2g.

I've got 2 ideas in mind.

1) I have the center console taken out and I'm thinking about mounting it directly under the arm rest container. I think there is enough space there and cut a hole in the back of the console so the plug would be easily available to any passengers in the rear (har har yeah right, but easy access isn't exactly important for a project like this)

2) I'm running an aftermarket stereo and I don't use the stock amp at all, so I'm also thinking about ripping that out and installing the inverter right there, then I could run wires exactly where the amp wires run and then it is just the inconvenience of looking under the seat to plug something in.

Blk95GSOct-29-05 04:33 PM
214 posts,
#11642, "RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter"
In response to Reply # 2

Yeah the console is tempting, it'd be perfect to just have the plug showing on the back of the armrest. I like my airbags and don't want to move the control module though.

FlyinEsiOct-29-05 05:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#11643, "RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter"
In response to Reply # 3

Don't. I think mine will fit on top of that module, and thanks, I wondered what that was...but it might fit on top of that and still leave room for the containing inside the armrest. i'll find out when I'm done installing all my other electronic goodies. Inverter is last on my list, but I'll let you know how it turns out.

Blk95GSOct-29-05 05:54 PM
214 posts,
#11644, "RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter"
In response to Reply # 4

Pretty sure you'd have to fill in the 2nd cup holder area under the armrest if you're staying on top of the SRS module. If you pop open your ashtray/cupholder you can see the space between the two

...'bout a pack of zig-zags

FlyinEsiOct-29-05 06:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#11645, "RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter"
In response to Reply # 5

We'll see what happens, but from the sound of it, i'll probably be putting it under the passenger seat.

SPL_EclipseOct-30-05 02:00 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#11650, "RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter"
In response to Reply # 6

thats wierd..i just replied to this but it didnt show up..so possible double post?

anyway, the math goes like this:

it probably draws around 250 watts (considering heat loss), so 250 watts/14 volts= about 18 amps. hook it up w/ 12 to 10guage wire with a 20 amp fuse on the wire and you're set.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

RoughRider01Dec-02-05 07:42 AM
Member since Nov 15th 2005
62 posts,
#11725, "RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter"
In response to Reply # 7
Dec-02-05 07:42 AM by RoughRider01

Mine is underneath the dash, right between where the passenger and drivers feet would be, fits good.

Edit; didnt realize how old the post was..

Blk95GSDec-06-05 05:36 PM
214 posts,
#11733, "RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter"
In response to Reply # 8

I've decided to go with the driver's side rear interior panel. (If you were sitting behind the driver, there'd be two plugs next to your left thigh.)
I haven't done it yet, but I plan to hack that metal brace (that the panel screws into) into an inverter mount.

-Travis

Blk95GSDec-08-05 06:19 PM
214 posts,
#11736, "RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter"
In response to Reply # 9

And here it is...

-T

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJan-05-06 10:35 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#11815, "RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter"
In response to Reply # 10

Do not use a 20amp fuse on the power wire when the Inverter has a 20amp fuse built in...this is pure stupidity. Think fuse coordination, 20amp in the unit, logic calls for a larger fuse upstream. Go with a 25amp under the hood. This way the fuse under the hood protects your cable and the fuse in the unit protects the load on the inverter. 40 or 50 amp fuse is not smart either.

IF you fuse both of them the same, what do you think will happen if you exceed the current draw? Both fuses will blow. Now you are faced with the question of why did the fuse under the hood blow as well, did your cable fault and you have a problem with loading in the inverter as well? Use common sense.

Terry

SPL_EclipseJan-07-06 07:40 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#11831, "RE: Inline fuse size for a 150watt inverter"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Do not use a 20amp fuse on the power wire when the Inverter has a 20amp fuse built in...this is pure stupidity. Think fuse coordination, 20amp in the unit, logic calls for a larger fuse upstream. Go with a 25amp under the hood. This way the fuse under the hood protects your cable and the fuse in the unit protects the load on the inverter. 40 or 50 amp fuse is not smart either. IF you fuse both of them the same, what do you think will happen if you exceed the current draw? Both fuses will blow. Now you are faced with the question of why did the fuse under the hood blow as well, did your cable fault and you have a problem with loading in the inverter as well? Use common sense. Terry

actually, that is not correct. the 20 amp fuse on the wire protects just that..the wire only. in case of a short somewhere after the battery and somewhere prior to the invertor, the inline fuse will blow. in the even that there is an internal short inside the invertor the built in fuse will blow. based on your logic, i would much rather have a smaller fuse inline to blow first...although your logic is a bit flawed. either way just fuse correctly for the wire guage and length and you will be fine (as im sure you already are considering this is a finished project..looks good!!)

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11639 Previous topic | Next topic