Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #800
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it" Previous topic | Next topic
cyb3r_shyNov-14-08 08:23 AM
Member since Feb 01st 2008
1 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#808, "RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it"
In response to In response to 7
Nov-14-08 08:38 AM by cyb3r_shy

Originally posted by DR1665
Originally posted by cyb3r_shy going up the hill??, going up the hill the car decreases speed more drastically due to gravity pulling against the weight of your car, there for slowinfg your vehicle faster, which would cause a greater decrease of RPM's than shifting going on leveled ground or downhill
This is true, but with a manual transmission, when you engage the clutch to shift gears, you disconnect the engine from the wheels. When this happens, the engine operates independently of the road slope. The vehicle does slow faster, and that can contribute to the tach dropping more on hills, but it has more to do with the speed of the vehicle changing more drastically on inclines than flat areas. Moot either way.
Originally posted by cyb3r_shy so i did i bit of surfin on the searchin', estimated MPG on a 98 Eclipse RS 2.0L DOHC 5 Manual is 20 city 29 hwy 23 combined, http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorCompareSideBySidePopUp.jsp?column=1&id=14114, so doin some basic math, 10 g (gas) / 300 mi (traveled) = roughly 30 MPG, ANOTHER thing, according to google maps and mapquest, the trip from phoenix AZ to irvine CA is aprox 361 mi which seems plausible on a tank of gas if you drive moderetly which you prob do, hwy 10 is a huge straigh line with very little hills, boring as heck actually, so it sounds somewhat reasonable.
If you're getting 30mpgs, then you're doing alright. Keep in mind that the car has a 16.9 gallon tank and that the low fuel light in the dash comes on, consistently, when you've got right at 3 gallons left. Fill the tank and, assuming you're pulling down 30mpg, you should have no trouble pulling down 400 miles on a tank. (30mpg * 13g = 390mi) With a mix of city/highway in and around Phoenix, including some hills here and there, I regularly pulled in 400-420 miles on a tank. The drive from the far east side of Phoenix (technically, Chandler) comes out to a generic 383 miles according to tinyurl.com/66h9b2. I left town with the gas gauge at the 3/4 mark and while I *had to* pull over and get gas just as I entered Irvine, I still managed it. And I wouldn't say I *always* drive moderately. Consider this picture, taken back in April 2005 on the way to MOD.05 in Cypress. Peer pressure was a bitch that day, but the all motor 2GNT held its own. When my buddy with the GSX coasted into a gas station on fumes, I still had more than half a tank left. As you can see, I was doing pretty good on that particular tank of gas. 140mi+ and pulling down 110mph+ (which we ended up doing a number of times), I still didn't have to get gas until we were headed to MOD from Anaheim the next morning.
Originally posted by cyb3r_shy sorry i dont mean to be hard headed, but 10 mpg over the estimated seems alot, ill keep readin round here and asking questions, and i would be grateful if you can point me towards the section where it talks aboot 40+MPG, thanks again.
It's cool, man. I've heard of some people easily cracking 500 miles on a tank going cross country with MSnS installed and a good fuel tune, but I've only hit that mark once. (520mi, actually, but I was sweating that next gas station.) If you get 35-36mpg, you'll hit the 500 mile mark with just 14 gallons of fuel, and even then, you'd still have almost 3 gallons left in the tank. Food for thought. I'd try searching the board for "MPG" and see what you come up with. Don't know if anyone's making 40mpg yet, but it might be possible with a little weight reduction and some under car aero appointments.

ok so it sound all reasonable, except for one thing, im missing 3-4 gallons in my tank, you say the reserve light comes up when you hit the 3 g mark, and i consistently pump 10 g at the station, ill take a pic this time around to show you,

i tried searching MPG on the forums, and it came up with our posts. hehe.

oh one more thing, what station do you get your juice from??

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it [View all] , cyb3r_shy, Nov-12-08 09:56 PM
  RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, TeamDR1665, Nov-13-08 08:39 AM, #1
RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, cyb3r_shy, Nov-13-08 09:12 AM, #2
      RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, djtrickee, Nov-13-08 11:03 AM, #3
      RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, TeamDR1665, Nov-13-08 11:54 AM, #4
           RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, cyb3r_shy, Nov-13-08 07:31 PM, #5
           RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, cyb3r_shy, Nov-13-08 07:47 PM, #6
                RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, TeamDR1665, Nov-14-08 07:46 AM, #7
                     RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, cyb3r_shy, Nov-14-08 08:23 AM #8
                          RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, TeamDR1665, Nov-17-08 05:29 AM, #9
                               RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, KnightHawk434th, Dec-03-08 09:31 PM, #10
RE: From SD CA, 98 RS with a lot of work ahead. Lookin FWD 2 it, Nemo, Dec-13-08 05:06 PM, #11

Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #800 Previous topic | Next topic