Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #5199
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Dayum!" Previous topic | Next topic
Jason 95 GS TurboMay-19-01 05:58 PM
Old School 2GNTer
183 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5215, "RE: Dayum!"
In response to In response to 12

i personally can say that i did not mean to offend you when i said what the fuck is up with you cracking a cam. I did not know it was because of you putting a bearing cap on backwards. I just found it odd that a cam cracked. It's not really a common problem on our cars. And as far as everything else you say, i agree with you. My point though is that everyone on this damn board blames our shitty stock internals as being the root of them blowing up their motors. That they have to have a built bottom end to have a turbo kit. Everyone says ohh, if you are going turbo, better go get your rods and pistons now. I feel there is no need for it. Get yourself a fuel system that is more reliable than a mechanical boost dependent riser, and injectors that are WAY too small for a turbo application, and get yourself some way of tuning out the high RPM advance. If i wasn't going with my standalone, i would have a crane ignition on my car already.

Do i think that having this turbo kit on my car is not going to destroy my motor however? NOPE. I know that pushing that kind of power out of a motor that wasn't really designed for it is not a good idea. But will i blow up my motor the way that most of these have blown up? I sure hope not. If i push my motor to higher boost levels, i make sure i do something to make up for it, such as race gas, the fight off the detonation. But come on. Most of these people have blown their motor up after 3-4000 miles. And as much as everyone hates to admit they fucked up, there is generally a reason behind it. The person i bought my turbo kit off of was one of the first people to have the star kits, him and wyatt got theirs about the same time. Way back then. He blew up his motor. WHy? human error. He played with the wastegate to get more boost, and watched his boost creep to 14 lbs. at redline. Stock injectors, FMU under the back seat, no A/F guage, pretty much every thing you don't want to do. It cost him alot, and never had the car running right. He never would admit to the fact that it was human error that caused his motor to blow.

Now am i saying that all of these problems are human error related? NO. MWC, if you had your bigger injectors in already, you ran high boost on stock internals, you probably took it too it's limit. ALthough cracked ring lands still sounds like detonation to me. I think with proper fuel, our connecting rods would be the first to go with high HP levels.

My point being though, just cus we have 9.5:1 compression, and cast pistons, does not make excuses for a blown motor. These can work just fine for a turbo. 4g63's have cast pistons. Chrysler 2.2 turbo's have cast pistons. Most production turbo cars have cast pistons. Forged are too damn expensive for a production car. What is the difference with these cars? they have an ECU that reads boost!!! We don't. We bypass our ECU with mechanical means to compensate for boost.

So, what is the honest answer for this? i can't really tell you. Go with a standalone ECU? God, i am trying that route, and i must say, it is a pain in the ass. Keep what you have and do some more tuning? Probably a good idea. But no fun when you want to go past 10 PSI. Build your bottom end? Not worth it unless you already blew it up, or it needs done anyway. Sell your car and buy a 1st gen AWD? Umm..yeah, i wish i could do this, but god, they don't look anywhere near as good. Sell your car and buy a honda? HEHEHEHEHHEE...i won't even comment. All i can say, is that at least they have options we don't have.

Ohh well, i ramble and ramble here. Feel free to flame me with any and everything i say that you don't agree with.

jason
95 GS Turbo

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

How many blown engines here? Statistics time! [View all] , RS_Guy, May-17-01 12:50 PM
  RE: How many blown engines here? Statistics time!, TeamStan2gnt, May-17-01 01:06 PM, #1
RE: How many blown engines here? Statistics time!, RS_Guy, May-17-01 01:20 PM, #2
RE: How many blown engines here? Statistics time!, 99GSBBTurbo, May-17-01 02:29 PM, #3
RE: How many blown engines here? Statistics time!, E_ME_2, May-17-01 03:13 PM, #4
      RE: How many blown engines here? Statistics time!, sleepereclipse, May-17-01 03:47 PM, #5
RE: How many blown engines here? Statistics time!, MWC, May-18-01 02:20 AM, #6
RE: How many blown engines here? Statistics time!, RAIZIN, May-18-01 06:16 AM, #7
Dayum!, RS_Guy, May-18-01 09:55 AM, #8
RE: Dayum!, Jason 95 GS Turbo, May-19-01 02:45 AM, #9
      RE: Dayum!, MWC, May-19-01 03:05 AM, #10
           RE: Dayum!, RS_Guy, May-19-01 11:05 AM, #11
                RE: Dayum!, RAIZIN, May-19-01 12:04 PM, #12
                     RE: Dayum!, RAIZIN, May-19-01 12:11 PM, #13
                     RE: Dayum!, RS_Guy, May-19-01 12:19 PM, #14
                          RE: Dayum!, RAIZIN, May-19-01 12:54 PM, #15
                     RE: Dayum!, Jason 95 GS Turbo, May-19-01 05:58 PM #16
                          RE: Dayum!, cyan, May-19-01 06:29 PM, #17
                               RE: Dayum!, rsXboy99, May-20-01 06:24 AM, #18
                                    timing retard, 95ESi, May-20-01 04:55 PM, #19
                                         RE: timing retard, sleepereclipse, May-21-01 12:13 PM, #20
                                         RE: timing retard, DAVE_FL (Guest), May-21-01 02:15 PM, #21
                                              RE: timing retard, Jason 95 GS Turbo, May-21-01 04:40 PM, #22

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #5199 Previous topic | Next topic