Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #8977
View in linear mode

Subject: "A couple things.....(long)" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamJeff_99gsNov-08-01 05:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8977, "A couple things.....(long)"

When I datalogged my car, I noticed that my timing is getting pulled to 15 degrees in the higher rpm in all gears, but especially 3rd and above. Now the way the turbo cars work is that their timing is only pulled when their ECU detects knock. So would it be safe to assume that my engine is knocking in the higher rpm, and that is why the timing is getting pulled?
I know our ECUs cannot pull timing nearly as much as the Turbo ECUs can, which is why it stops at 15 degrees and doesn't go any lower.
I see 25+ degrees normally under regular driving, and while boosting in 1st and 2nd gear. Above that, however, it just goes out the window. So basically am I detonating the crap out of my engine?
If anyone has access to a datalogger or pocketlogger and is NOT turbo and IS OBDII, I would like to see what your timing looks like. If I really am knocking, then it would be disasterous to up the boost over 7psi.

My Air Fuel holds firm at .94-.95 all the time, so not getting enough fuel really isn't a problem.

On another topic...

My lag is horrible. I don't hit full boost till at least 4500rpm. Thats bad. I have no leaks and the turbo is fine. I have the stock dp where I cut it to fit the Hahn add-on, the stock cat, and a 3" Thermal cat-back. My lag really shouldn't be that bad for just hitting 7psi...
Would getting a test pipe and better dp really help that much with the lag?
Also, has anyone thought of swapping a 14B or 16G exhaust housing on the Super 16G? I would think that would help with lag quite a bit. Going from 10cm to 7cm would help with throttle response, and still keep the top end there. As for wheel spin, yes it will help the wheels to spin off the line a bit, but will reduce lag right after shifts and overall throttle response. If boost creep is a problem with the smaller housing, a dump tube could be added to help the wastegate flow, along with porting and a larger flapper.
I don't know if all this is worth it, but for having only 7psi running through the car, it would be nice to have that power hit a lot sooner than it does.

Any comments welcome.

-Jeff
1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T'd and HRC'd

http://gs.dsmpower.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A couple things.....(long) [View all] , TeamJeff_99gs, Nov-08-01 05:36 AM
  RE: A couple things.....(long), TeamMuRiX, Nov-08-01 05:49 AM, #1
RE: A couple things.....(long), TeamJeff_99gs, Nov-08-01 07:27 AM, #2
      RE: A couple things.....(long), TeamJasonESi_T, Nov-08-01 07:38 AM, #3
      RE: A couple things.....(long), TeamDeezGst, Nov-08-01 07:51 AM, #5
      I hate LAG, Semperboost, Nov-08-01 07:48 AM, #4
           RE: I hate LAG, DAVE_FL (Guest), Nov-08-01 08:48 AM, #6