Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #86847
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!" Previous topic | Next topic
KTECLIPSEJun-13-05 01:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
537 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#86847, "Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!"
Jun-13-05 01:26 PM by KTECLIPSE

Hello everyone,

During my last oil change, I decided it would be a good idea to take out the HRC supplied K&N oil filter, clean it, and re-oil it. When I took the filter off, I noticed one section of the filter was caved in and another section was rubbing on the connector for the radiator fan which actually put a hole in the cotton filter element. Here's some pictures of it's original location and the damaged filter (it lasted for two years).

Original Location:

Filter Crushed Against Intercooler Pipe (Result of Filter being too big):

Hole in Filter due to rubbing against the radiator fan connector:

After seeing the hole, I decided to search on 2gnt for filter options. Many of the results returned were people looking for a replacement filter but it seemed as no one ever posted a filter that fit better than the original. Here are the specs of the K&N filter that I bought. It is much smallar when compared to the original:

Original Filter:
Straight Filter
Height: 4"
Top and Bottom Diameter: 5.75
Flange Inlet: 2.5"
Flange Type: Offset
Chrome Top

My Replacement (Much Smaller, Different Design)
Tappered Cone Filter
Model#: RC-9700
Height: 3.75"
Bottom Diameter: 5.188"
Top Diameter: 3.5"
Flange Inlet: 2.5"
Flange Type: Offset .594"
Chrome Top

Notice that the replacement filter's flange is offset (meaning the hole where it mounts to the intake pipe is not directly in the center of the bottom of the filter) - it is to the right of center by a half inch. This works nicely as you can drill a hole (1/2" for breather line - depends on your hose barb as I replaced my 90 degree elbow from HRC with a straight hose barb from home depot to remove stress (pulling) on the filter - the stock HRC hose is also 1/2") into the bottom of the filter (very easy - see pictures - takes 5 minutes but make sure you vacuum the inside of the filter to remove the rubber pieces) to allow for the line for the valve cover breather.

This filter fits much better. It does not hit the radiator shroud, radiator fan electrical connector, or the hood prop. I purchased this filter from www.sparkplugs.com for $28.00 and it was delivered in about a week (they are located in California and I am in New Jersey). For $30 bucks, I think it is a good upgrade. Below are some pictures of how it fits:

Model Number:

Clearance of Hood Prop:

Clearance of Radiator Shroud and Fan Electrial Connection:

Overall shot (doesn't hit the headlight cover, can see valve cover breather line with straight barb instead of the HRC 90 degree barb):

Engine Compartment View:

I hope this post helps someone looking for a similar solution. I made many trips to the K&N website and spent many hours trying to decide on a filter that would fit the best as I made paper models to visualize how it would fit before buying it.

--Kurt

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)! [View all] , KTECLIPSE, Jun-13-05 01:21 PM
  RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, BRU_ce, Jun-15-05 08:00 PM, #1
RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, WickedESi, Jun-15-05 08:16 PM, #2
      RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, BRU_ce, Jun-15-05 08:42 PM, #3
           RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, Ducking_Fumbass, Jun-16-05 02:27 AM, #5
           RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, BRU_ce, Jun-16-05 07:38 AM, #10
           RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, ModeratorCorbin, Jun-16-05 06:13 AM, #6
                RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, BRU_ce, Jun-16-05 07:37 AM, #9
                     RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, TeamDR1665, Jun-16-05 09:27 AM, #11
                          RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, ModeratorCorbin, Jun-17-05 07:14 AM, #20
RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, BRU_ce, Jun-15-05 09:06 PM, #4
RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, techboy, Jun-16-05 06:14 AM, #7
RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, pr0, Jun-16-05 06:17 AM, #8
      RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, KTECLIPSE, Jun-16-05 09:49 AM, #12
           RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, BRU_ce, Jun-16-05 12:58 PM, #13
                RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, pr0, Jun-16-05 02:00 PM, #14
                RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, BlackMagic, Jun-16-05 02:20 PM, #15
                RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, KTECLIPSE, Jun-16-05 02:26 PM, #16
                     RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, BRU_ce, Jun-16-05 07:59 PM, #17
                          RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, Ducking_Fumbass, Jun-17-05 12:08 AM, #18
                               RE: Sick of your beat up HRC K&N filter? Check inside for a better K&N option (pictures inside)!, BRU_ce, Jun-17-05 05:57 AM, #19

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #86847 Previous topic | Next topic