Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #31978
View in linear mode

Subject: "...weekend update?" Previous topic | Next topic
Teamner947Sep-30-02 12:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31978, "...weekend update?"

alright, i did a bunch of things to my car this weekend and i have a few questions. first of all i discovered that my friend and i never hooked the stock bov that comes with the hahn correctly...the vacuum hose wasn't vacuuming. we put it to a "t" connector that was already there near the map sensor (we saw that the hose went to the 3 way splitter at the back of the intake man1fold) and figured it would work. (in hrc's picture, it showed the middle port in the stock 3 way splitter wasn't to be used) well, once i hooked up my rfl bov, it wasn't making any noise at all so i was like "wtf?" and checked everything. i disconnected the bov with the car running, and found that the vacuum hose wasn't vacuuming. so, i took off the middle port's rubber block and hooked the vacuum hose up to there, worked great. it was amazing!

i also got my egt gauge finally working correctly. during long 4th gear pulls it gets *really* close to 1600 degrees, and i've heard from enough people on the fourms that 1600 is as high as you ever want to go that i believe it.

i found a boost leak...the valve cover breather thing dripped some oil into my filter (yeah yeah, i know i need a catch can) and a little got blown through the turbo and spit out onto my valve cover making a little smoke. smelling it, i pulled over and figured out where it came from...i pulled off my intake piping and re-mounted it with new clampy thingies, sprayed the connections down with a little bit of soapy water and didn't see any more boost leaks.

anyways, my questions are:
1) since my 3kgt bov was never really hooked up correctly, is there any chance of there being any damage to my turbo? (i've been running ~5psi for about a month and a half now)
2) what do other stage 1 guys see for egt's on long pulls?
3) i know the trick of using the PVC pipe for testing boost leaks, and i have yet to do this. are there any special ways to build a leak tester? what type of air compressor should i use?

sorry for the long post. i'm done now.

oh yeah, i updated my sig too. the image is probably broken, but whatever.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

...weekend update? [View all] , Teamner947, Sep-30-02 12:52 PM
  RE: ...weekend update?, Teamner947, Oct-01-02 03:16 AM, #1
RE: ...weekend update?, vegasdsmr, Oct-01-02 01:58 PM, #2

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #31978 Previous topic | Next topic