Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #92595
View in linear mode

Subject: "fiberglass GURU's summoned once again - about lightweight fillers vs bondo vs poly resin" Previous topic | Next topic
ezFeb-21-06 02:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#92595, "fiberglass GURU's summoned once again - about lightweight fillers vs bondo vs poly resin"

The search engine helped out a lot with this one, but I still need a little more help. I need a material that I can lay on my mold plug, that will sand easy. I want to know the optimum material. Here are some potential materials that came up with the search

-"Rage" body filler by evercoat ($30/gallon)
-"featherlight" body filler by USC ($12/gallon)
-polyaster resin sold at boatersworld.com
-super light weigh bondo

Here's my situation: I've created a plug using a stock bumper, and custom made my desired shapes with a wired mesh that is tacked on to the bumper. the wire mesh can provide the shape but obviously I cannot make a mold off of it, wax and PVA does not go on wire mesh! To finish the plug before making the mold, I figure the only way to do this is to cover the stock bumper and wire mesh with fiberglass. Then I can add a layer of (fill in the blank here) on top of the fiberglass, and sand it to make a nice smooth plug.

This material should stick to fiberglass during the plug making process, sand easy, and be sanded to a pretty thin layer without cracking.

The other option I'm thinking is simply fiberglassing the plug without the filler, and then after making the mold, using the filler to make the mold smooth.

thanks in advance guys

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

fiberglass GURU's summoned once again - about lightweight fillers vs bondo vs poly resin [View all] , ez, Feb-21-06 02:14 PM
  RE: fiberglass GURU's summoned once again - about lightweight fillers vs bondo vs poly resin, eclipse982nrRST, Feb-22-06 01:02 AM, #1

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #92595 Previous topic | Next topic