Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105580
View in linear mode

Subject: "review of 2 products: quixx scratch remover and turtle wax headlight cleaner" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorVX100Dec-28-11 07:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105580, "review of 2 products: quixx scratch remover and turtle wax headlight cleaner"

I thought it would be good to post a review of these 2 products I used recently.

The turtle wax headlight cleaner first. I used one of those produts with sandpaper attachments you put on a drill with my brother's car's headlights which were really bad, but that seemed too agressive for the condition the Eclipse's headlights were in. I used plastic cleaner (meguiars I think) and that helped but wasn't enough.

The turtle wax kit comes with 2 pads you use by hand and a spray lubricant, a tube of cleaner/finisher, and a "wet nap" with sealant on it. The headlights were not yellowed but did show a hazy surface in places. The kit did work well, but if the headlights were yellow I don't think it would have been enough. So if your headlight are in rough shape but not completely yellow or hazed over this should work. Also, the wet nap with sealant is good for 2 headlights and that's it. You will have a lot of the lubricant and cleaner left over.

Now for the quixx. I used it on the Ralliart as someone scuffed up my rear quarter panel (and there were a few door scratches from the dealer). I tried it because reviews said it would actually do something to scratches without wrecking the paint. It comes with extremely fine grit sand paper which you are supposed to use with water if the scratches are deep enough to feel with your finger nail. I did NOT use it as they wern't that deep and I was too scared to use the sandpaper.

Other than that it comes with a cloth for use with the products, and with 2 tubes of cream. One is for "moderate" scratches or something like that, the other is for very fine scratches and used as a finisher.

The scratches were visible and in a number of spots they looked like they were slightly white or grey so possibly not just a line in the clear coat (although that may be all they were), but my finger nail couldn't catch them except in one or two spots I could just barely catch them with my finger nail. You use the 1st tube for about a minute while applying pressure with the included cloth until you can't see the scratch. Then you wipe it off with water, dry the area, then use the finisher for a minute with the cloth.

It worked extremely well. The scratches were no longer visible, and at the most at an ange and in bright light, you could just barely see a line in the paint where the scratch was, as if the clear coat had a faint scratch in it which was barely noticeable. This was a huge improvement from seeing noticeable scratches. I was extremely happy with the results.

On very light stuff (swirl marks and very light surface scratches in the clear coat) just using the #2 tube did work. That tube seems more like using scratch X (which I find is good for swirl marks, bird dropping marks which the scratch x did take out of the paint, and extremely fine surface scratches).

I'd say it was definitely worth using, at least if you have a scratch you can't catch with your nail and you are only using the tubes and not the sandpaper included. I assume for something deeper the sandpaper would help, but of course if it is deep enough you'll need to use some touch up paint. It says this stuff can help make touch up paint look better too, but I can't confirm that.

Hope that helps for anyone looking to take care of scratches or headlights anytime in the future.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

review of 2 products: quixx scratch remover and turtle wax headlight cleaner [View all] , ModeratorVX100, Dec-28-11 07:46 PM
  RE: review of 2 products: quixx scratch remover and turtle wax headlight cleaner, megaskillz, Dec-29-11 11:09 AM, #1
RE: review of 2 products: quixx scratch remover and turtle wax headlight cleaner, Smash_NDash, Dec-30-11 11:58 PM, #2
      RE: review of 2 products: quixx scratch remover and turtle wax headlight cleaner, nub, Jan-18-12 03:16 PM, #3
           RE: review of 2 products: quixx scratch remover and turtle wax headlight cleaner, eclipse420ags, Apr-30-12 12:01 PM, #4
RE: review of 2 products: quixx scratch remover and turtle wax headlight cleaner, predsfan029, Jun-03-12 12:10 PM, #5

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105580 Previous topic | Next topic