Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105071
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Speedometer Gauge Confusion" Previous topic | Next topic
SnortingCayenneNov-29-10 02:35 PM
Member since Nov 21st 2010
8 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105075, "RE: Speedometer Gauge Confusion"
In response to In response to 3
Nov-29-10 04:15 PM by SnortingCayenne

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
The speedometer is not supposed to have any wires at all coming off of it. It should just slide and plug itself in where it mounts. Someone at some point in time either tried putting some sweet LEDs in there, or had a fried cluster and tried wiring it up to work. I would honestly just look for a decent new cluster.

EDIT: You sir were correct, it was indeed for lights. I took the cluster apart and the four white wire sets were connected to plastic type illumination guage cover thingys. Underneath the steering column I found things that shouldn't have been found...there were more wires than pron sites on the interweb. Car alarm, bass, inside, outside lights, etc. I guess I'll just start ripping things out and try to go OEM and then figure out what he did if I want fancy whatevers later. It such a mess, Now my question is what was he hooking the four cluster lights up to? It looks as if they were connected to the column switches, but I can't find out what they are and what they do.

Edit Again: Anyone know why this guy would have put 12 V dc 40 Amp Relays between the gauge lights, car alarm, keyless entry, Cd player and the power? It looks like it all was hooked up through the fuse box.

o rly?

Well that makes the mystery even more...mysterious...

Tbh, it looks like a brand new gauge assembly, or cluster, i take it to mean.

Perhaps this combination meter, or cluster, wasn't for a 97? Could anyone verify? Also, is there a way to test the cluster to see if it is indeed fried? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Also, if there are no wires that are supposed to come out of the combination meter, why are the SRS wire sets coming up through the gauge assembly housing? Also, does anyone know if the SRS is mandatory for the ignition to start and the ECU to power the relays and Cam angle sensors and related?

B-09 is the ignition switch, I believe that this is connected to a set of the white wires streaming down from the Combination Meter Assembly. now that I look closely it's b-11 and b-12, these are in similar place. What is column switch?

===============================
I'm like a hunter of spice...one who chases the elusive mayfly of pain...or something like that.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Speedometer Gauge Confusion [View all] , SnortingCayenne, Nov-28-10 02:36 PM
  RE: Speedometer Gauge Confusion, 420agreenvilleSC, Nov-28-10 02:45 PM, #1
RE: Speedometer Gauge Confusion, SnortingCayenne, Nov-28-10 02:56 PM, #2
      RE: Speedometer Gauge Confusion, 740 turbo brick, Nov-29-10 01:56 AM, #3
           RE: Speedometer Gauge Confusion, SnortingCayenne, Nov-29-10 02:35 PM #4

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105071 Previous topic | Next topic