Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #104551
View in linear mode

Subject: "My DIY Fiberglass Bumper" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorCorbinApr-04-10 07:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#104551, "My DIY Fiberglass Bumper"

Four years ago, I had the crazy idea to make a custom bumper:

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=92312&mesg_id=92312&listing_type=search

The look of it came to me in a dream. You know, the kind where you wake up and immediately grab paper and pencil to start drawing (was this a scene in Close Encounters?). Here is what I did:

Cut stock urethane bumper with jig-saw to remove parts and reposition them. Mock up new features with cardboard and craft foam. WTF did I just do?

Sand stock bumper and drill a million tiny holes in it to promote adhesion of resin. Hot glue is used to hold craft foam in place. Foam is sanded to a smooth contour.

Wrap bumper with too many layers of fiberglass and polyurethane resin. I chose to sand after each layer, removing a third of my work each time. Cheap paper masks should be good enough.

My throat hurts, but let's add a couple layers of resin and with fibers.

Make sure everything still fits.

Sand essentially all of that resin/fiber filler back off to get a nice smooth surface.

Spend 4 weeks sick from sinus and lung infection. Determine that pussies probably live longer and buy a proper respirator to use when sanding. Coat bumper with the highest quality filler available at Advance Auto.

Sand everything smooth and apply a classy gray primer. Everything still fits.

Yup. That is how I imagined it. I put some flat black paint on it soon after. That was 3 or so years ago. I have scraped it a bunch of times on entrances and my wife backed into it. It developed a couple hairline cracks that I repaired and some that I haven't. I was going to use this one to build a mold for a full fiberglass one, but I think I am just done. My car needs a paint job and I can't risk it cracking after spending the money on real paint. I have decided to chuck it and slap a stock urethane bumper on there. If anyone wants to pick it up in Northern VA, they are welcome to. Maybe this will inspire someone to try or not to try a project like this.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

My DIY Fiberglass Bumper [View all] , ModeratorCorbin, Apr-04-10 07:37 PM
  RE: My DIY Fiberglass Bumper, DanKid, Apr-08-10 08:42 AM, #1
RE: My DIY Fiberglass Bumper, eclipse982nrRST, Apr-08-10 05:49 PM, #2
      RE: My DIY Fiberglass Bumper, djtrickee, Apr-08-10 08:25 PM, #3
           RE: My DIY Fiberglass Bumper, baconater3000, Apr-08-10 08:55 PM, #4
           RE: My DIY Fiberglass Bumper, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Apr-08-10 08:57 PM, #5
                RE: My DIY Fiberglass Bumper, ModeratorCorbin, Apr-09-10 08:09 AM, #6
                     RE: My DIY Fiberglass Bumper, 96rsdsm, May-05-10 02:04 PM, #7
                          RE: My DIY Fiberglass Bumper, RoninEclipse2G, May-05-10 06:21 PM, #8

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #104551 Previous topic | Next topic