Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #104284
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Complete replacement of front end?" Previous topic | Next topic
Dyer13Mar-15-12 11:32 AM
Member since Mar 21st 2009
4 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105634, "RE: Complete replacement of front end?"
In response to In response to 0

That will definitely take away some strength, unless you weld extra plates over both parts being welded together. That can actually make the seam stronger, as long as the person welding it knows what they're doing. Don't rely only on a butt weld.

That being said, I replaced everything in front of the strut tower after having a head-on collision with a telephone pole (black ice). It's not too bad as long as you plan out everything in advance. I just went to town with a sawzall and and then had a hard time getting the new and old pieces to line up correctly. Don't eyeball it. Take many measurements BEFORE cutting the good car. Use a compass or inclinometer (assuming you're doing this on a level surface). Make a drawing with exact measurements.

Let me know how it goes if you do this. If it goes well, I might look into doing it to mine.

No worries.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Complete replacement of front end? [View all] , Babbz413, Dec-23-09 08:56 PM
  RE: Complete replacement of front end?, Moderatorteklein, Dec-24-09 12:11 PM, #1
RE: Complete replacement of front end?, ez, Dec-24-09 03:09 PM, #2
      RE: Complete replacement of front end?, Babbz413, Mar-19-10 09:01 PM, #3
           RE: Complete replacement of front end?, baconater3000, Mar-28-10 04:38 PM, #4
RE: Complete replacement of front end?, Dyer13, Mar-15-12 11:32 AM #5
RE: Complete replacement of front end?, dalesmitsu, Mar-15-12 08:24 PM, #6

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #104284 Previous topic | Next topic