Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #83827
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.." Previous topic | Next topic
madhatter210Apr-15-05 03:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2720 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#83917, "RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.."
In response to In response to 17

Originally posted by got_NX
Great work on the CF! I was wondering if you use automotive clear on the final stage then wet sand and buff? I'm sponsored by carbonwerks and I know he use to do this before he started using molds. I know there is lots of hand sanding for the perfect finish but it's not cost effective if your trying to make a couple extra bucks.
yes, whats nice is I really like doing this, so the money is really not as important to me as being able to put out something that some fellow dsm'r is going to be like "oh hell yea that shit is tight". But your right though, my time vs profit... if I wasn't doing other pieces at the same time it wouldn't be worth it if it was my only source of income. And yes the hand sanding/polishing is a what takes up most of the time, I try to plan it out so I don't have 10 pieces all waiting for that at once......it a nice break to revert to another stage in the process between all that.

Although I like to have a bunch lined up for the polishing stages as it gives me a quick comparison to the one I just did.....meaning "Oh you will look just like that one and your going to like it" lol and talking to the pieces is mostly due to lack of ventilation, but my girl checks on me now to be sure my respirator is on most of the time.

And CarbonWerks has been a very good inspiration for me, I started doing this though because I couldn't get a cf fuel door. And although they did that at one time.....and you could special order it, I felt that well they are a "big" player in custom work and figured my one piece I wanted wouldn't see the attention or speed in turn around in which I was looking for. And being very knowledgeable in fiberglass/resin and bodywork already the next step was for me to do my own custom cf work for myself. Although my stuff is different from the normal black, as mine is green.
As far as mold's, I have some for my own custom needs and hope to develope that end a little more next month after I move and set-up my shop/garage in Ohio.

Originally posted by Aggression
The pics you are referring to that look wavy are not the final product. He must wet sand and buff out becuause when I got it the thing is smooth and shining. Plus I think it has enough layers of clear that if you wanted to wet sand and buff it out more you could but I am not sure. Is this the case Madhatter210? Mad do you put enough clear on it so that if the person was so inclined they could wetsand and buff it even more then it is now? Doesn't need it IMO, but to some people its just more reasurance. Awesome product IMO!
Indeed sir.....you are correct. 5 coats on the interior pieces, 7 on the exterior...give or take one depending on the finish/depth I get.
But just a note on that, they also come pre-waxed/buffed with Black Magic so you need to be considerate of that before wet sanding for any reason is done, as to not embed it into the clearcoat. Although a touch up buff is always usally required after install (finger prints and all that) I like to have the super shine there when you open the box

http://www.murderpimp.com

2gnt T-shirts&swag
http://www.cafepress.com/mads

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.. [View all] , madhatter210, Apr-13-05 02:30 PM
  RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., dsmmyth, Apr-13-05 02:34 PM, #1
RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., djtrickee, Apr-13-05 03:04 PM, #2
RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., madhatter210, Apr-13-05 03:07 PM, #3
      RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., djtrickee, Apr-13-05 03:09 PM, #4
           RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., injendsm, Apr-13-05 03:18 PM, #5
                RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., rucr8z2, Apr-13-05 04:39 PM, #6
                     RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., berightback, Apr-13-05 05:40 PM, #7
                          RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., pfmicks, Apr-13-05 06:00 PM, #8
                               RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., kain_99gs, Apr-13-05 06:06 PM, #9
                                    RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., Silv Blt, Apr-13-05 07:47 PM, #10
                                         RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., Aggression, Apr-14-05 02:21 AM, #11
                                         RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., EclipseTenzoR, Apr-14-05 04:27 AM, #12
                                              RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., DarkTalon, Apr-14-05 05:59 AM, #13
                                         RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., CustomGS, Apr-14-05 06:17 AM, #14
                                              RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., madhatter210, Apr-14-05 06:35 AM, #15
                                                   RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., got_NX, Apr-15-05 01:25 AM, #16
                                                        RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., Aggression, Apr-15-05 02:23 AM, #17
                                                             RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., madhatter210, Apr-15-05 03:34 AM #18
                                                                  RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., EclipseTenzoR, Apr-15-05 04:17 AM, #19
                                                                       RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., madhatter210, Apr-15-05 04:44 AM, #20
                                                                       RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., Aggression, Apr-15-05 04:46 AM, #21
                                                                            RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., EclipseTenzoR, Apr-16-05 11:21 AM, #22
                                                                                 RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., Eclipsegsx012, Oct-04-05 08:53 PM, #23
                                                                                      RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., BuckNutty, Oct-05-05 01:56 AM, #24
                                                                                           RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., Aggression, Oct-05-05 06:58 AM, #25
                                                                                           RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., djtrickee, Oct-05-05 07:27 AM, #26
                                                                                           RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., CrazyEclipse, Oct-05-05 07:58 AM, #27
                                                                                           RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., Eclipsegsx012, Oct-05-05 04:08 PM, #28
                                                                                                RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., injendsm, Oct-05-05 04:39 PM, #29
                                                                                                     RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., madhatter210, Oct-05-05 05:05 PM, #30
                                                                                                          RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., djtrickee, Oct-06-05 07:35 AM, #31
                                                                                                               RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., injendsm, Oct-06-05 11:46 AM, #32
                                                                                                                    RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., CustomGS, Oct-07-05 06:18 AM, #33
                                                                                                                         RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., madhatter210, Oct-07-05 12:28 PM, #34
                                                                                                                              RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., madhatter210, Oct-12-05 03:10 PM, #35
                                                                                                                                   RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., Blizare, Oct-12-05 03:19 PM, #36
                                                                                                                                        RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., madhatter210, Oct-12-05 03:27 PM, #37
                                                                                                                                             RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., knight ryda 99, Oct-12-05 03:46 PM, #38
                                                                                                                                             RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., djtrickee, Oct-12-05 04:19 PM, #39
                                                                                                                                             RE: Just wanted to showcase a new cf glovebox I made soon to be.., knight ryda 99, Oct-12-05 04:34 PM, #40

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #83827 Previous topic | Next topic