Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 3 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6045
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tranny kinda broke" Previous topic | Next topic
thedawgJan-13-04 09:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6045, "Tranny kinda broke"

My transmission has been loose from the engine for a while (missing one bolt) and has recently been lagging really bad under high load/ low speed conditions like launching or just driving normally from a stop. It's definitely not turbo lag. The clutch pedal engages/disengages right at the floor, which I attributed to a worn throwout fork/fulcrum ball.

Yesterday, right about when it normally goes from lagging bad to full power, there was a loud crack and WHIZZZZZ, followed by a clacking noise that matched engine RPM. I still had all 5 gears, still easy to shift, but it made horrible grinding noises if I accelerated at all. I was able to drive back home clacking loudly.

I dropped the tranny, expecting the clutch or flywheel to be chowder. Nothing. Tiny amounts of metal powder in the clutch housing and tranny fluid that look like normal wear. Everything else looks perfect, and if I spin the input shaft by hand & shift thru all gears, its smooth and doesn't make any noise.

So um.... what broke? Diff? Final drive gears? Which part of the tranny should I disassemble first? Thanks!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Tranny kinda broke [View all] , thedawg, Jan-13-04 09:38 AM
  RE: Tranny kinda broke, thedawg, Jan-13-04 11:07 AM, #1
RE: Tranny kinda broke, Vandy420a, Jan-13-04 11:32 AM, #2
      RE: Tranny kinda broke, thedawg, Jan-15-04 05:39 AM, #3

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6045 Previous topic | Next topic