Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5224
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Juice Box getting closer..." Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Jan-22-07 10:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5234, "RE: Juice Box getting closer..."
In response to In response to 7

Originally posted by kain_99gs
Do you plan on doing the 5-lug upgrade in the future?

Nope. Sticking with the 4-lug so I can share parts with the other GVR4 rally cars at events in the future. If I lose a wheel, for example, I have a better chance of finding a spare at service.

Not sure as to the advantages but some guy on the galantvr4.org forums makes a special shift knob. It is like all white and I believe it is weighted or something. I remember seeing them when I was over there. Might be something to look towards instead of groping Mr. Ed.

Heh. I saw that. Given this is a stock trans with a little, shall we say, personality, I would prefer to not have any extra weight which might force something. The 1G shift knob looks a bit funny at first, but this car is all about form following function. Maybe, when i raise the shifter assy a couple inches up off the floor, I'll go back to the stocker or something.

If the vr-4 uses 9006 bulbs for lowbeams you could always do this mod for that extra lighting http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/More_light.htm Do you plan on getting some kind of light rack eventually, or are you just gonna rally her during the day?

I plan on checking out that link later this afternoon, but for the time being, I need to track down some replacement headlights, as these are a bit ghetto for my liking. Sure, they've been epoxied and more or less aligned, but one of them has the low beam taped in because one of the previous owners did something fucked up.

A light pod will show up eventually. I don't plan on doing too many night rallycrosses in the next year, so I think a nice set of cheap fog lights will work just fine. I do have, however, a pair of decent Isuzu Amigo headlights (9007s for high/low beam in one housing) which I intend to play with for a while. They might make a nice set of homebrew lights.

About how much boost is that supposed to be putting down? Do you have plans to increase it, or do you have to stay within specs for rally?

I have no idea what stock boost is. Galants have an even more useless boost gauge than DSMs do. Six LEDs under the tach. Three for vac and three for boost. I love me some blinky lights, but this is pretty much useless, imo.

I got that Sunpro boost gauge, but I don't think I'll install it. For me, running any particular boost pressure isn't an issue. I could give a shit. I plan on following the basic free mods and 1G DSM staged upgrade path. I'm going to get as much power out of this thing as I can on the cheap.

I plan on bolting up my SRT4 FMIC and some hard pipes later this year, but a turbo upgrade will be a serious decsion, since rally cars have to run a 32mm restrictor plate. The trick will be finding a turbo which spools up quick, but does not peter out in the top end through a restrictor.

Uh oh. Let's hope if it get's stolen they break through the windshield to get it since you are going to replace that anyways.

Yeah. Although the alarm decided to work this afternoon. I guess Galants are notorious for the weaksauce alarm to just go off for no reason. The horn doesn't work on my car yet, but the alarm horn, in all it's feeble glory, seems to work just fine. I'll have to hit up the Galant board this afternoon and find the thread detailing the solution.

And that's why we love em. It gives us something to do. Good luck with everything man.

Haha. Thanks. I'm loving driving this car. It's so smooth and quiet and all that. For a beat ass rally car wannabe, it's very nice to drive.

Originally posted by 992gnt
Great news Brian. One note for future reference though - never put "horsecock" and "natural feeling" in the same paragraph. Kinda creeped me out.

Oh yeah. I knew I would catch hell for that. Leave it to car guys to make it so that you have to be very careful when talking about shift knobs. You can't say you want a taller or shorter knob, or even a shiny black knob. It all turns into HEF outright.

Originally posted by eclipzGST
BWAHAHAHA. I guess you don't know Brian then... lol

Nope. Not in that full, carnal way that you wish you did, ya fruit.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Juice Box getting closer... [View all] , TeamDR1665, Jan-20-07 03:39 AM
  RE: Juice Box getting closer..., Moderator992gnt, Jan-20-07 07:16 AM, #1
RE: Juice Box getting closer..., Moderatorcs82685, Jan-20-07 07:46 AM, #2
      RE: Juice Box getting closer..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-20-07 10:54 AM, #3
           RE: Juice Box getting closer..., TeamDR1665, Jan-21-07 05:57 PM, #4
                RE: Juice Box getting closer..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-21-07 06:28 PM, #5
                RE: Juice Box getting closer..., TeamDR1665, Jan-22-07 03:04 AM, #6
                RE: Juice Box getting closer..., kain_99gs, Jan-22-07 03:49 AM, #7
                     RE: Juice Box getting closer..., Moderator992gnt, Jan-22-07 04:07 AM, #8
                     RE: Juice Box getting closer..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-22-07 08:45 AM, #9
                     RE: Juice Box getting closer..., TeamDR1665, Jan-22-07 10:11 AM #10
                     RE: Juice Box getting closer..., Moderatorjuan, Jan-22-07 07:17 PM, #11

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5224 Previous topic | Next topic