Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12774
View in linear mode

Subject: "6bolt rebuild questions (lots)" Previous topic | Next topic
thedawgSep-24-03 08:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12774, "6bolt rebuild questions (lots)"

Sorry, I have lots of questions, my first time rebuilding a 4g63 and no mentor. Any help is really appreciated!

1) Where is the tranny "input shaft" seal? How do I replace it?

2) I found the shifter throwout bearing buried in 1" of grease. It looks ok, but should I just replace it anyways?

3) Anything else in the tranny that should be serviced? (besides input seal, throwout bearing, 2x output seals) It shifts perfectly.

4) While installing the balance shaft eliminator plug, half of the rim broke off when I was pounding in the hard plug. Is a fairly thin but thorough coating of JBweld enough to hold the pressure? Or should I pour another coat on that's really thick?

5) I have 2G pistons on 1G rods/6bolt motor. I gapped the rings Top: .020 Middle .025, Oil .023, which is a few thousandths wider than "normal" but still well below "max service limit". The ring gap specs for 1G pistons are really different, so I used 2G gap specs. Everything look ok?

6) The FSM says to "liberally coat the pistons in engine oil" before installing. I thought new rings were supposed to be installed dry?

7) Can I re-use my Tbelt tensioner? It was still fully compressed, I just stuck a pin in and removed it. It looks original, with 90k miles on it.

8) Should I replace the valve guides or seals? How do you get them out? Mine are really brittle, but they all seal perfectly.

9) One of the piston skirt oil squirter check valves "chatters" when I blow compressed air through it. The others hiss smoothly. Should I replace that check valve? The jet works fine, it just makes a lot of noise.

10) My exhaust mani is cracked bad down the middle, probably a continuous 8" crack from bottom to top. No leaks yet, but looks nasty. Should I ignore it, re-weld it, replace it, or buy a 2G manifold? Limited to about $40 for this.

11) Are there any other good searchable technical messageboards or websites- besides this, VFAQ, and 1000AAQ? I'm scared to go on DSMtooners cuz of the reputation for misinformation.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

6bolt rebuild questions (lots) [View all] , thedawg, Sep-24-03 08:18 AM
  RE: 6bolt rebuild questions (lots), TeamJeff_99gs, Sep-24-03 08:39 AM, #1

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12774 Previous topic | Next topic