Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12634
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Spark plug won't thread into head." Previous topic | Next topic
Jason_99ozGSOct-06-03 05:38 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
1286 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12634, "Spark plug won't thread into head."

I recently got a 1990 Plymouth Laser Turbo and on Saturday I decided to do a compression test. The #1 & #2 cylinder came up with low compression and I added a little oil to find out that it was bad piston rings and the #3 and #4 cylinders were fine.

Well after I was done with the test I was putting the plugs back in. The spark plug for the #2 cylinder didn't seem to want to thread into the head very well. I wasn't sure if the socket was all the way on or not, but I eventually got it to the point where I felt some torque. I finished it off with the torque wrench set at 20ft/lbs and the wrench clicked and I was like ok good it's torqued down now.

Today I took the Laser out for a drive and everything was normal. The drive maybe laster 5-10 minutes and once I was home I left the car idle for about a minute and I shut it down. I then had to start it back up to move cars around. When I started it I heard a loud POP and saw a little bit of white smoke come out from under the hood. I'm not sure if the engine actually started, but as soon as I heard the POP I stopped cranking the engine.

I opened the hood to see the spark plug cover cracked in half. I took it off and made sure all the plug wires were on firmly which they were. So I tried to start the laser again and the engine began to crank and the when the #2 cylinder was on it's compression stroke I heard a loud POP, sounded like a back fire but then my friend yelled stop!. The #2 spark plug had completley blown out of the spark plug well.

I inspeceted the threads of the plug and they looked fine. I even looked down the spark plug well and everything looked normal. So I tried to put the spark plug back in, but it would never thread into the head of the engine. So what's the best way to approach this problem? Will I have to tap new threads into the block? Will I have to remove the head and possible get a brand new one? What should I try? Thanks in advance

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS -Sold, I miss it

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Spark plug won't thread into head. [View all] , Jason_99ozGS, Oct-06-03 05:38 PM
  RE: Spark plug won't thread into head., TeamJeff_99gs, Oct-06-03 07:19 PM, #1

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12634 Previous topic | Next topic