Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12188
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't)" Previous topic | Next topic
Diceman19Jan-20-04 02:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12199, "RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't)"
In response to In response to 10

Originally posted by Vandy420a
P.S. is the 3 bucks (max) you saved on 4.5 gallons of 89 worth the potential of melting rings, detonation, or anythign else like that? And no, premium gas has NOTHING to do with gas milage, unless you're using the wrong grade, getting detonation and your ECU is doing weird stuff with timing. THe only way it could possibly help, and this is a really big stretch, is you put it in a car that you had previously been using the wrong gas AND reset the ECU somehow, then noticed a slight power increase and compensated by using less throttle. CAUTION: LONG (duh) BUT BASIC STUFF ABOUT OCTANE--skip to summary if you don't wanna read Gasoline is made up of 6 and 8 carbon chains, called hexane and octane respectively. Hexane is highly prone to detonation under pressure and heat, while octane is much more resistant. However, gasoline needs to be more highly refined to get octane over hexane without adding lead as a stabilizer, artificially boosting the "octane". When people say the word "octane" they are actually not using the word correctly. They (and gas stations) are referring to an average of detonation tests done with a single piston running motor and somethign else, can't remember, not important. They are estimating the percentage of octane versus hexane in a given quantity of gas(89 = 89% octane). This is misleading, because many companies use additives that may highly resist heat detonation and give a "score" of 100+ "octane", which isn't possible, but the gasoline may be volatile under pressure because of the higher quantities of hexane. Its just an average, and its not even that accurate, which is scary enough and is also a reason to buy decent gas. SUMMARY: "Octane" is supposed to mean how many 8 carbon chains but really means resistance to detonation...but most companies don't tell you which kind of detonation, whether its heat induced or pressure induced. 87 and 93 gas contains the same amount of energy. Whats also gonna really blow your mind is that ALL gasoline for a given area is the same stuff, only the additives are different. The Cont. U.S. only has like 3 pipelines total...so the shell and exxon on the corner are really only selling you their additives.

lost my post, not retyping it. stupid work computer.....basically, i meant to put in 91 or 92, hit middle button, whoops, it was 89. not having any negative effects of 89 gas. barely hit 3k rpm since i filled the tank. been a lazy week. putting 93 in tomorrow night, WOT all the way back to interstate.

thanks for the info on gas, i learned a mass of knowledge.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't) [View all] , Diceman19, Jan-16-04 10:45 PM
  RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't), ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-17-04 06:56 AM, #1
RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't), HybriDSM, Jan-17-04 08:53 AM, #2
      RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't), Diceman19, Jan-17-04 05:42 PM, #3
           RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't), ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-17-04 06:06 PM, #4
                RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't), Diceman19, Jan-18-04 02:02 AM, #5
                     RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't), TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-18-04 08:20 AM, #6
                          RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't), Diceman19, Jan-18-04 10:02 AM, #7
                               RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't), Diceman19, Jan-19-04 02:30 AM, #8
                                    RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't), Vandy420a, Jan-19-04 04:14 PM, #9
                                         RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't), Vandy420a, Jan-19-04 04:26 PM, #10
                                         RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't), Diceman19, Jan-20-04 02:39 AM #12
                                         RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't), Diceman19, Jan-19-04 04:27 PM, #11
                                              RE: Where shoud I/did you mount the EGT Probe? (con't), Diceman19, Jan-22-04 02:24 AM, #13

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12188 Previous topic | Next topic