Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #10773
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: loosing power when i shift" Previous topic | Next topic
HybriDSMMay-27-04 01:46 PM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10783, "RE: loosing power when i shift"
In response to In response to 9

Originally posted by BigBald
Originally posted by HybriDSM
Originally posted by BigBald yep it is normal...t25 has no top end...Get a ball bearing turbo and you should have no problem....you loose almost no power with those things.....
Ball bearing actually has more to do with how fast a turbo spools, not with how much top end it has. The size of the turbo (compressor wheel, housing and turbine housing) has to do with how long it makes power.
not true....in fact a very common mis-conception. Ball Bearing has nothing to do with how fast the turbo spools and everything to do with holding boost while shifting. It appears he is loosing power between shifts, ball bearing will minimize that power loss. BB turbos have documented spool times the same as normal turbos. IF this info is incorrect please point me in the direction where yours came from. The issue cam up because some was complaining about the spool time of the FP3052 being identical to that of the 16g. They thought that have a BB turbo would make it spool as fast as the t25. IT was then brought up by one of the wisemen that BAll Bearing has nothing to do with spool time and everything to do with holding power between shifts which is a huge issue for manuals. Now noone ever refuted this claim and actually a few others agreed. So I am interested in how this is not true suddenly.

I think you are arguing my side of the point. Losing power between shifts and spool time are intrinsically linked. A ball bearing turbo spools considerably faster than a conventional bearing turbo. This free spooling ability also allows the turbo to spin freely between shifts, thus making power and boost loss between shifts a greatly diminished problem. The original comment was this; that ball breaing does not have anything to do with top end or the ultimate flow characteristics of a turbo and how much power it makes.

All things being equal, two identical turbos, one ball bearing the other conventional bearing, the one with ball bearing will hit full boost first and will also lose less boost between shifts. Those two concepts are the same. Less friction means less power loss.

The reason I say this is I have practical experince with it. I ran a ball bearing 60-1 for a while last summer and even with a malfunctioning fuel pump and a disastrously tuned car, I was hitting 20+ PSI by 3100 RPM. On the conventional bearing 14b, those numbers were about equal. Also, after talking through my turbo with the fine gentlemen at AGP before I bought mine, they explained in detail how ball bearing turbos decrease spool time by 25% or more.

The original point of my comment quoted above stands, that ball bearing has nothing to do with power, in terms of how much a turbo flows, but is able to "create" more power by speeding up boost and letting be maintained more efficiently between shifts.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

loosing power when i shift [View all] , chrysler kid, May-24-04 07:18 AM
  RE: loosing power when i shift, a_miller_76, May-24-04 08:23 AM, #1
RE: loosing power when i shift, BigBald, May-24-04 10:17 AM, #2
RE: loosing power when i shift, EcLIpsInEmCEe7, May-24-04 12:09 PM, #3
RE: loosing power when i shift, HybriDSM, May-26-04 06:15 PM, #4
      RE: loosing power when i shift, TeamJeff_99gs, May-26-04 07:06 PM, #5
      RE: loosing power when i shift, Remy, May-27-04 05:13 AM, #6
           RE: loosing power when i shift, chrysler kid, May-27-04 06:19 AM, #7
                RE: loosing power when i shift, ModeratoreclipzGST, May-27-04 08:08 AM, #8
      RE: loosing power when i shift, BigBald, May-27-04 10:36 AM, #9
           RE: loosing power when i shift, HybriDSM, May-27-04 01:46 PM #10
                RE: loosing power when i shift, TeamJeff_99gs, May-27-04 03:27 PM, #11
                     RE: loosing power when i shift, BigBald, May-27-04 05:21 PM, #12
                          RE: loosing power when i shift, HybriDSM, May-27-04 05:45 PM, #13
                               RE: loosing power when i shift, BigBald, May-27-04 06:12 PM, #14
                                    RE: loosing power when i shift, HybriDSM, May-27-04 06:28 PM, #15
                                         RE: loosing power when i shift, scottfreeman80, May-28-04 09:22 AM, #16

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #10773 Previous topic | Next topic