Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #42556
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: So she's a daily now (GSX)" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorbullettdsmMar-11-10 03:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#43724, "RE: So she's a daily now (GSX)"
In response to In response to 18
Mar-11-10 03:25 PM by bullettdsm

Originally posted by Malenko
I couldnt be happier, I was ready to set the car on fire. He got the car after I dumped a shit ton of money into it to get it as good as it was when he got it. Im glad shes not just a pile of parts. Can I buy it back now?

Heh heh heh, Thom, Thom, Thom. Forgive him lord for he knows not of what he speaks.

Lol, I got ripped off! Yup, there was a burn in the butter on this one. Knowing you and knowing all the situations that preceded the event of my purchase, I'm pretty sure that you knew nothing of all of this, but, I got ripped off.

Though, because of the deal, I didn't end up behind, but I didn't really end up that much ahead either.

Let's start out with the aforementioned, anticipated stuff;

1. Alternator - Saturn 95 amp Mod
2. Battery
3. Ignition timing - I'm sure related to the extra voltage
4. 100 amp fuse - Pull it out of the melted goop and replace
5. Fuse box - Haven't done it yet, but I also have burnt wires there
6. Turn switch arm - Replace arm. Works now, but on "hurricane" blink
7. Ignition transistor - we know why that went - 17 volts
8. Rewire fan back to stock
9. Rewire radio back to stock
10. Weld a piece in the exhaust pipe
11. Adjust idle screw - mechanically set for about 1800 rpm's
12. Rear hatch struts
13. Pull hood and sand out cracks and paint
14. Rear center piece replace and paint
15. Set of 4 wheels - He kept his to go on his TC
16. Power steering belt
17. (Edit in) thermostat
18. Replace starter

Also, had to redo ALL connections with butt/heat shrink connection

Ok, cool enough anticipated stuff. Kinda went with the territory, Now on with the fun;

Started blipping/missing at idle. Didn't like the sound of it (and it gave me a reason to pop the head and check stuff out. Yeah, that's me all over, lol). So I pop the valve cover and see that I do indeed have ARP's. Cool.

Well, I had always had a problem with her smoking quite a bit (getting worse and worse). No big deal, she had been sitting so I figured valve seals were hard as a rock and here was an opportunity to get them done.

Well, it wasn't valve seals leaking. When I pulled off the intake and turbo, I found the problem. Turbo was toast. I mean TOAST. There is nothing there to save. Cracked exhaust housing, center cartridge was as loose as a tooth about to fall out. Both wheels hitting and spent. Up, down, in, out movement. All over. I think I could just pop it out of there with my bare hands if I wanted to. Now, I wasn't even boosting because she would break up like crazy above about 5psi. Figured it was the tune and I wasn't going to tune it until I had the demons worked out, so I just stayed out of boost. Well, I guess the tune wouldn't have mattered, lol.

Ok, no problem. Do-do happens. Probably had something to do with that garden hose that was used as an oil return line (yep, green garden hose). I worked some magic and got my hands on an FP Green that ended up costing me basically $550 with a "no miles" FP rebuild on it. Aight, let's pull the "Hesspower ported head with the three angle valve job".

If only I had a "Hesspowered ported head with three angle valve job" to pull, I would have. But NOOOO, I didn't have a "Hesspowered ported head with three angled valve job" on the car, lol. What I had was a basic no port welded-up head with a spark plug insert in one cylinder because that was the one where the valve head broke off and beat the crap out of the cylinder! (Hence the added welding)

Well, you know, I'd give Mr Hess a call and see if he could do this head for me, but there is one problem with that....he's dead!

Ok, time for a little autopsy (on the head that is. Oh yeah, it also appears that whoever put the head on decided that the ARP washer on one of the ARP studs does not go on the stud. It apparently, belongs on the intake manifold, lol) Pull the head apart and see that I was just starting to burn a couple of exhaust valves. As a matter of fact, it appears that they replaced the intake valves only. The exhaust valves were older. Much older (and worn). Kinda like the timing belt on this "replacement head" for the "Hesspowered ported head with three angled valve job" slipped and ate up the intake valves. So they replaced just them and welded up the head and put that on.

Well, that was one stinky thing to do. Let's inspect a little more; Pistons, correct. I had previously checked the stroke on the engine (when I first got it) and that's the correct crank (but then again, is it a 6 bolt crank? I'll be finding out soon enough because the ACT 2600 clutch is slipping - under low boost obviously - so that will need to be replaced. I'll count the bolts then, lol).

There were a couple of other little things that I can't remember right now (like the 255hp not being an hp. Checked the numbers) but they all seemed to be associated with doing the headgasket (even the turbo - which had been on for about 10k - should not have been nearly that bad. Almost like someone switched turbos at one point )

Meh, this is a bit long, but Thom, I'm basically telling the story for the entertainment value. Really nothing against you. I'm pretty sure I know what went on here.

BUT let that be a lesson to those out there. One of the problems with having others do work on your car.....you NEVER know what could happen. In addition, in buying a car, the seller may have a whole pocket full of receipts, but that doesn't necessarilly mean those parts are still on/in the car.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

So she's a daily now (GSX) [View all] , Moderatorbullettdsm, May-03-10 09:28 AM
  RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), eclipse982nrRST, Dec-11-09 08:31 PM, #1
RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), nyBoosted420a, Dec-11-09 10:21 PM, #2
RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Moderatorcs82685, Dec-12-09 07:06 AM, #3
      RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Moderatorbullettdsm, Dec-12-09 07:17 AM, #4
           RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Tuxdreamerx, Dec-12-09 11:52 AM, #5
                RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), dalesmitsu, Dec-12-09 10:23 PM, #6
                     RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Fallen4ng31, Dec-15-09 08:34 AM, #7
                          RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-15-09 09:22 AM, #8
                               RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Moderatorbullettdsm, Dec-15-09 02:15 PM, #9
                                    RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Moderatorbullettdsm, Dec-30-09 05:52 PM, #10
                                    RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Ebster1085, Dec-30-09 09:45 PM, #11
                                         RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-30-09 11:10 PM, #12
                                         RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), dalesmitsu, Dec-30-09 11:31 PM, #13
                                         RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Moderatorbullettdsm, Dec-31-09 04:53 AM, #14
                                              RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Ebster1085, Dec-31-09 07:02 AM, #15
                                                   RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Moderatorxcasbonx, Dec-31-09 08:10 AM, #16
                                                        RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Moderatorbullettdsm, Jan-01-10 11:40 AM, #17
                                    RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Malenko, Mar-11-10 08:37 AM, #18
                                         RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Moderatorbullettdsm, Mar-11-10 03:21 PM #19
                                              RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Ebster1085, Mar-11-10 04:46 PM, #20
                                              RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Malenko, Mar-11-10 06:38 PM, #21
                                                   RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), electrohead, Mar-12-10 12:34 AM, #22
                                                   RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Moderatorbullettdsm, Mar-12-10 01:41 PM, #23
                                              RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Moderatorbullettdsm, Apr-19-10 04:10 PM, #24
                                                   RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Remy, Apr-29-10 03:17 PM, #25
                                                   RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Moderatorbullettdsm, Apr-30-10 01:20 PM, #26
                                                        RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), cms, May-01-10 08:07 PM, #27
                                                        RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Remy, May-18-10 08:54 AM, #28
                                                             RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Moderatorbullettdsm, May-19-10 01:23 PM, #29
                                                   RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Moderatorbullettdsm, Oct-16-10 03:56 AM, #30
                                                        RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Oct-16-10 04:23 AM, #31
                                                        RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Moderatorbullettdsm, Oct-16-10 10:21 AM, #33
                                                             RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), AdministratorCODE4, Oct-19-10 07:39 AM, #40
                                                        RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), electrohead, Oct-16-10 04:26 AM, #32
                                                             RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Ebster1085, Oct-16-10 05:18 PM, #34
                                                                  RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), 740 turbo brick, Oct-16-10 07:59 PM, #35
                                                                       RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Babbz413, Oct-16-10 09:21 PM, #36
                                                                            RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Moderatorbullettdsm, Oct-17-10 03:53 AM, #37
                                                                                 RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), electrohead, Oct-17-10 08:55 PM, #38
                                                                                 RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), 740 turbo brick, Oct-17-10 10:34 PM, #39
                                                                                 RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Oct-19-10 10:15 AM, #41
                                                                                      RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Moderatorbullettdsm, Nov-06-10 02:35 PM, #42
                                                                                           RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), dalesmitsu, Nov-07-10 02:42 AM, #43
                                                                                                RE: So she's a daily now (GSX), Moderatorbullettdsm, Nov-07-10 05:00 AM, #44

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #42556 Previous topic | Next topic