Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32363
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!" Previous topic | Next topic
JJun-29-09 12:50 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32367, "RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!"
In response to In response to 3
Jun-29-09 12:57 PM by J

That's a very good question... no, the fenders are not rolled; yes, they are digging into the tires (never even checked or noticed). Once upon a time, in another car far-far-away, I had a tire rub the fender which actually painted it with black rubber, and it was obvious that it was rubbing the fender. It didn't even occur to me the same might be happening as it wasn't so obvious. Instead, I see the fender lip (the metal fender itself, not the wheel well) has a sharp edge and has actually added another groove into the tire; and in such a clean/uniform mannor that it looks 'from the factory'.

HMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Now, I will say that
a.) the fender wall is *not* rubbing at all (the plastic guard)
b.) the fender itself *is* digging into the tire, and has made a perfect groove
c.) the control arm has been shined clean aka marked black where the tire has hit up against it.

Very helpful, thank you... in your (or anyones') experience, can crashing the tire into the metal fender lip cause the same sound effect as hitting the control arm? (hard loud thump, very painful sounding - the fender is quite strong & rigid, but not as so much as a control arm)

Are you supposing then: that with all the extra camber in my previously fubar'd alignment, that the tire's edge was clearing the fender? Would you again suggest that adding larger 15mm spacers has caused more of the tire to be exposed to said fender? (as in, the rubber is not tapered, and is making matters worse as described in original post)

You may have saved me $200 in needless struts (minus the cost of a baseball bat), or cost me another $60 for more expensive 2-day shipping, lol. Regardless I'm thankful.

Bear in mind, I've been running the exact same tire size without issue for a long, long time. Only camber, spacers, alignment, and possibly offset has changed... not tire size.
- J

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help! [View all] , J, Jun-29-09 09:27 AM
  RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!, 420agreenvilleSC, Jun-29-09 09:45 AM, #1
RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!, J, Jun-29-09 11:13 AM, #2
      RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!, Nightfall, Jun-29-09 12:19 PM, #3
           RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!, J, Jun-29-09 12:50 PM #4
                RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!, freelancefool, Jun-29-09 04:07 PM, #5
                     RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!, User_22, Jul-04-09 11:22 PM, #6

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32363 Previous topic | Next topic