Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32363
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!" Previous topic | Next topic
JJun-29-09 09:27 AM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32363, "Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!"
Jun-29-09 09:39 AM by J

Before I say anything, let me first mention that I've had my RX7 rims on my '99 for a LONG time perfectly fine w/ ~5mm spacers (not lowered though). Todays adventure is on my '97 which is lowered.

My car (lowered) w/ the same exact tire size NEVER bottomed out, as in ever... but the alignment was all kinds of sh*t. Car shook at high speeds and was chewing the crap out of my tires. Well it was time for some new tires, and I was determined to right all wrongs.

So I put on the camber kits and got an alignment w/ my fubar tires on OEM 16" rims, and my nightmare began. All of a sudden, I can't go anywhere without bottoming out or hitting the control arm, and you can forget having any passengers in the car. I figured, okay... well, let's get some new tires and spacers and see if that corrects things... and it didn't. If anything I suspect my car has actually gotten significantly worse. Now I can't even take 2x wheels over a speed bump without squeeking my tires on the opposite side chassis.

Let me say that all of my issues ONLY occur on the rear of the car, and on both sides! The car is quite noticably lower than it once was, as I can only get a single finger between the top of the tire and wheel well. When someone gets in the car, you can see it drop further (yet still not scrubbing). Finally, my ride is not in any way, shape, or form described as bouncy. My car doesn't do the wave up and down going down the road, but it does appear that my car is unable to keep itself lifted up anymore.

1.) Could the alignment shop have done something to cause this?
2.) Were my shocks blown and I just didn't know it?
3.) Do I need to take my alignment out of spec w/ positive camber?
4.) Are my shocks blown?

BEFORE
Tokico Blues w/ Eibach Prokit
OEM 16" Wheels w/ 225/50R16
NO Wheel Spacers
Alignment = FUBAR!

AFTER
Tokico Blues w/ Eibach Prokit
3rd Gen RX7 (16x8, 50mm offset) w/ 225/50R16 Yokohama S-Drive
15mm Hubcentric Wheel Spacers
Ingalls Camber Kits (Front & Rear)
Alignment = Smooth as glass, dead straight/no-shaking

I would greatly appreciate some quick responses as I've got my eye on 2x new Tokico Illuminas (just to replace the rear), but I need to order them within a couple hours so they can go out same day and arrive here in time for me to install.

Thoughts?!?
- J

::updated::
Here's my complete DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/137

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help! [View all] , J, Jun-29-09 09:27 AM
  RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!, 420agreenvilleSC, Jun-29-09 09:45 AM, #1
RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!, J, Jun-29-09 11:13 AM, #2
      RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!, Nightfall, Jun-29-09 12:19 PM, #3
           RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!, J, Jun-29-09 12:50 PM, #4
                RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!, freelancefool, Jun-29-09 04:07 PM, #5
                     RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!, User_22, Jul-04-09 11:22 PM, #6

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32363 Previous topic | Next topic