Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #25147
View in linear mode

Subject: "HOW TO: run lower offset wheels...(long rant)" Previous topic | Next topic
cyanSep-06-04 05:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#25147, "HOW TO: run lower offset wheels...(long rant)"

ok, i've been doing alot of thinking and alot of calculating lately because i'm looking at a new set of wheels that aren't available in an offset that is practical for our cars. now, i don't have my car at my home now so i don't have a way to look at it to see if this is even possible, but is there any way to shorten either the axles or the thickness of the wheel hub in order to increase the distance between the hub surface and the fenders' inner edges? (i assume shortening the axles would achieve nothing considering the suspension equipment would be useless at this point, but i can't really be sure because i can't see the suspension in my head, and the suspension is not independent of the axles). the only other way to accomplish lowering the offset would be to widen the fenders and cut out about 1" from the sheetmetal OEM fenders (unless the car isn't lowered, but mine is).

according to the 2gnt main page, the stock wheel offset is 46mm. i don't know if thats for the stock 14's or the stock 16's. if it's for the 16s then after calculating:

16x6" wheel = 152.4mm wide. wheel center is at 76.2mm
76.2mm - 46mm offset = 30.2mm hub to fender clearance, which is roughly 1.8"

the wheels i'm looking at are available in 19x8 at 38mm offset and 19x9 at 26mm. thats about 2.5" and 3.48" hub to fender clearance, respectively.

still with me...

so that means i either need to add between 0.7" (17.8mm) & 1.68" (42.7mm) to the width of the stock fenders (not cheap!) or remove the same amount of distance from the length of the stock axle or hub on each side of the car.

is this possible to achieve in a safely driveable manner? are any other dodge, chrysler, mitsu or eagle vehicles equipped with 5 bolt x 114.3mm hubs that are interchangeable with ours while also being thinner by at least an inch?

crazy question i know, and would probably take an expert to even comprehend, but i had to give it a shot.

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOW TO: run lower offset wheels...(long rant) [View all] , cyan, Sep-06-04 05:13 PM
  RE: HOW TO: run lower offset wheels...(long rant), ez, Sep-06-04 05:25 PM, #1
RE: HOW TO: run lower offset wheels...(long rant), cyan, Sep-06-04 05:28 PM, #2
      RE: HOW TO: run lower offset wheels...(long rant), WIDECLIPSE, Sep-07-04 02:34 AM, #3
           RE: HOW TO: run lower offset wheels...(long rant), cyan, Sep-07-04 07:14 AM, #4
                RE: HOW TO: run lower offset wheels...(long rant), BumpinTalon, Sep-08-04 08:36 AM, #5
                     RE: HOW TO: run lower offset wheels...(long rant), RickyMeeses, Sep-09-04 06:57 AM, #6
                          RE: HOW TO: run lower offset wheels...(long rant), cyan, Sep-12-04 11:47 AM, #7
                               RE: HOW TO: run lower offset wheels...(long rant), FlyinEsi, Sep-14-04 02:45 PM, #8
                                    RE: HOW TO: run lower offset wheels...(long rant), turbo8u, Sep-14-04 02:56 PM, #9
                                         RE: HOW TO: run lower offset wheels...(long rant), FlyinEsi, Sep-17-04 09:50 PM, #10

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #25147 Previous topic | Next topic