Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #22592
View in linear mode

Subject: "slotted vs drilled vs both?" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Feb-22-04 07:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22592, "slotted vs drilled vs both?"

Okay. I need to do something about my brakes. They are shitty.
My bro here in Phoenix, run4cvr, just got burned on a set of "Brembos" off eBay. Here's the deal:

His "Brembo" front GSX calipers started to rust on him after only a few weeks and he called to see about getting new ones from them since they were "guaranteed," but the guy he spoke to at Brembo said that they only make slotted OR cross-drilled rotors. The DO NOT make combination rotors. He said that if you buy a slotted & cross-drilled "Brembo," you have purchased a modified Brembo rotor if you are lucky. It could be a complete bootleg.

This is mind, I hit eBay looking for some new rotors...

Slotted - such as Power Slot. Supposedly better strength and more stoping power due to lower temps than stock and slots that effectively resurface the pads constantly. Downside seems to be that the slots also cut through the surface of the pads, resulting in much faster wear of the pads.

Cross-drilled - Obviously run cooler than slotted due to greater ease of gas evacuation, but downside is that the holes reduce the surface area of the rotor and introduce stress points and the increased possibility of rotor failure from cracks forming.

So I have decided I want to go either one or the other, but not both. I am leaning towards the slotted rotors, but I don't know which would be better. Do you guys have any suggestions or input on the matter? I would get the "Brembo" slotted and cross-drilled rotors, but if everyone selling them is lying straight to your face about them being real Brembos (but doing something Brembo did not design the product to do), how can I buy something as important as brake rotors from them?

Help me please?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

slotted vs drilled vs both? [View all] , TeamDR1665, Feb-22-04 07:41 PM
  RE: slotted vs drilled vs both?, a_miller_76, Feb-22-04 08:29 PM, #1
RE: slotted vs drilled vs both?, WickedESi, Feb-22-04 10:03 PM, #2
      RE: slotted vs drilled vs both?, MCubed45, Feb-23-04 12:36 AM, #3
           RE: slotted vs drilled vs both?, a_miller_76, Feb-23-04 02:21 AM, #4
                RE: slotted vs drilled vs both?, TeamDR1665, Feb-23-04 12:57 PM, #5
                     RE: slotted vs drilled vs both?, Skrilla, Feb-23-04 01:50 PM, #6
                          RE: slotted vs drilled vs both?, run4cvr, Feb-23-04 02:40 PM, #7
                               RE: slotted vs drilled vs both?, Pitchblack98, Feb-23-04 03:13 PM, #8
                                    RE: slotted vs drilled vs both?, djtrickee, Feb-23-04 04:43 PM, #9
                                         RE: slotted vs drilled vs both?, Remy, Feb-23-04 05:56 PM, #10
                                              RE: slotted vs drilled vs both?, run4cvr, Feb-24-04 03:18 AM, #11
                                                   RE: slotted vs drilled vs both?, Pitchblack98, Feb-24-04 09:36 AM, #12
                                                   RE: slotted vs drilled vs both?, TeamDR1665, Feb-25-04 07:23 AM, #13
                                                   RE: slotted vs drilled vs both?, Remy, Feb-26-04 05:13 AM, #14
                                                        RE: slotted vs drilled vs both?, run4cvr, Feb-26-04 09:09 AM, #15
                                                             RE: slotted vs drilled vs both?, 99blackRS, Feb-26-04 11:03 AM, #16
                                                                  RE: slotted vs drilled vs both?, DvSEclipse, Mar-02-04 07:16 AM, #17

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #22592 Previous topic | Next topic