Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #13352
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..." Previous topic | Next topic
The1BillNov-15-02 09:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13375, "RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..."
In response to In response to 21

For a turbocharged car, though, a car that can launch at 3K RPM and is automatic will launch harder then the same car launching at 6K RPM with a manual transmission. Simple fact is that a 5 speed cannot build boost on a neutral rev, where an automatic can build boost on the line at the stall speed. I have friends who launch their AWD A/T DSMs at 12 lbs of boost at 3500RPM. They launch like raped apes. In order to make boost, there must be a load on the engine. Free-revving is load-free, but when you are fighting your stall (torque) converter, there is a heavy load on the motor.

That being said, I would still do a 5 speed AWD with a stutterbox. Lets you build some boost as you are bouncing off of the first stage revlimiter on a 2 stage system.

Now, about the AWD stuff...
The rear crossmember is different, as are the lower control and lower lateral arms. The upper A arms are the same. The fuel tank is different, but the setup of the lines is the same. There is already a driveshaft tunnel. I recommend using AWD exhaust parts, right off of the shelf. Now, for the fun stuff...

I would use a Japanese Lancer EVO transmission, center diff, transfer case, and rear differential. This would mean mixing axle parts and having a custom driveshaft. The EVO rear end can be finnagled to bolt to the AWD crossmember. The transfer case and center diff bolt to the transmission. The transmission would bolt to a 420a with the use of a 1/2" thick steel adaptor plate. The only issue is clutch engagement. I would simply have a custom clutch made that will bolt to a modular Neon flywheel (I wouldn't use an aluminum flywheel because the AWD is more likely to bog with a light flywheel). This clutch would bolt to the Neon flywheel and match the input shaft splines of the EVO transmission. The stock shift linkages could probably be made to work, as the ends are the same on the DSM turbo 4G63 transmission, but the length is different. The stock motor mount could be used to support the passenger side of the motor, but creativity might be necessary to enable the transmission mounted mounts to bolt to the chassis. I don't think that this would be too difficult of a project, but I would recommend doing it at the same time as, say, a 2.4L swap, because if you are going to go through the hassle of fabricating what is necessary for this to all bolt on, you might as well give it some extra torque.

One last thing about this drivetrain is that it will require EXTENSIVE electrical modifications to make it work. The EVO is equipped with active differentials, and has a seperate ECU for this. I am sure that it would be possible to adapt this ECU to the existing harness. Another neat toy on the EVO is AYC, or Active Yaw Control. It will change the front/rear bias of power to induce oversteer or understeer to make the car more predictable. As far as I know, this is done with G sensors. You may or may not be interested in making AYC work, but I think that it would be worthwhile.

-=B-= <===== not that I have thought about doing this or anything...

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Serious AWD discussion inside... [View all] , brynden29, Nov-13-02 08:13 AM
  RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., ez, Nov-13-02 09:05 AM, #1
RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., mcgyvr, Nov-13-02 09:23 AM, #2
RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., joshacu, Nov-13-02 09:28 AM, #3
      RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., Teamner947, Nov-13-02 11:38 AM, #4
           RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., WIKKI, Nov-13-02 04:01 PM, #5
                RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., bustrblue2, Nov-13-02 05:13 PM, #6
                     RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., brynden29, Nov-14-02 12:18 AM, #7
                          RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., silverbullet, Nov-14-02 03:13 AM, #8
                               RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., 9D9 MITSU RS, Nov-14-02 03:56 AM, #9
                                    RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., iamnotwhoiam, Nov-14-02 04:52 AM, #10
                                         RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., babybeclipse, Nov-14-02 06:22 AM, #11
                                              RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., iamnotwhoiam, Nov-14-02 06:30 AM, #12
                                              RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., 9D9 MITSU RS, Nov-14-02 08:04 AM, #13
                                                   RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., 97eclipseRS, Nov-14-02 09:39 AM, #14
                                              RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., Matt_95tgs, Nov-14-02 03:29 PM, #15
                                                   RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., MotoFool, Nov-14-02 04:03 PM, #16
                                                   RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., Teamner947, Nov-14-02 07:02 PM, #17
                                                   RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., LS1Z28Chris, Nov-19-02 12:46 AM, #28
                                                   RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., babybeclipse, Nov-15-02 06:27 AM, #18
                                                        RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., Joshua97478, Nov-15-02 08:56 AM, #19
                                                             RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., 96eclipse2nr, Nov-15-02 10:52 AM, #20
                                                                  RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., 97eclipseRS, Nov-15-02 11:06 AM, #21
                                                                       RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., The1Bill, Nov-15-02 09:28 PM #22
                                                                            RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., Joshua97478, Nov-16-02 06:37 AM, #23
                                                                            RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., PowerEclipses, Nov-16-02 03:43 PM, #24
                                                                            RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., silvreclipsers, Nov-16-02 05:59 PM, #25
                                                                                 RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., The1Bill, Nov-16-02 06:39 PM, #26
                                                                                      RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., PowerEclipses, Nov-17-02 08:51 AM, #27
                                                                                           RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., tacoman123, Nov-20-02 12:27 PM, #29
                                                                                                RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., Teamner947, Nov-21-02 12:43 PM, #30
                                                                                                     RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., HadesOmega, Nov-21-02 08:15 PM, #31
                                                                                                          RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., The1Bill, Nov-21-02 10:04 PM, #32
                                                                                                               RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., CopperEclipse96, Feb-02-03 11:40 AM, #33
                                                                                                                    RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., tacoman123, Feb-02-03 02:40 PM, #34
                                                                                                                         RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., CopperEclipse96, Feb-02-03 05:20 PM, #35
                                                                                                                              RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., The1Bill, Feb-03-03 07:14 AM, #36
                                                                                                                                   RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., ModeratorVX100, Feb-03-03 07:29 AM, #37
                                                                                                                                        RE: Serious AWD discussion inside..., 97xtc, Feb-03-03 06:24 PM, #38

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #13352 Previous topic | Next topic