Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #1281
View in linear mode

Subject: "clipping a coil" Previous topic | Next topic
trickedeclipseMar-24-01 03:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
438 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1281, "clipping a coil"

okay this question wasn't for my car, but the more i think about it, the more i wonder... i was asked by a honduh driver "if you clip a coil from your spring, should you clip it off from the bottom or the top of the coil?" at first i thought the bottom, but then i was thinking, maybe you should clip it at the top, so you can still lock the tapered coil into the spring perch... what do you guys think? it's for a 90 honda civic that already has the 1.75 suspension techniques springs. are they even tapered at the bottom like ours? (his car is like .5 lower in the back and he wants to even it out.) the springs have between 8-10 coils so i was figuring cutting one coil off shouldn't harm the ride too bad. am i right? the springs already have a tighter spring rate than stock. would one coil be enough to lower it 0.5"? or should he grind off 2 coils? is it smartest to remove the entire shock/strut assembly, or is it safe to use a grinder and just pop the wheels off and grind it on the car?

let me know what you guys think, it's a member of my car club, and although i know this is a DSM board, i would really like to help him and his saggy rear end honda out. you guys are the best at this stuff, so i wouldn't even consider a honda forum.

thanks, PJ

-PJ
'96 ESI-NOS Talon / '02 Subaru WRX

"Making Dreams Reality"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

clipping a coil [View all] , trickedeclipse, Mar-24-01 03:28 PM
  RE: clipping a coil, Irfan, Mar-24-01 05:43 PM, #1
If its just the spring..., Skrilla, Mar-24-01 06:51 PM, #2

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #1281 Previous topic | Next topic