Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #5123
View in linear mode

Subject: "spending too much time reading the on line tech manual" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorVX100Dec-17-01 08:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5123, "spending too much time reading the on line tech manual"

Wow, I had no idea how detailed the manual can get!

Check out page 222-230 on the DSM 2G technical manual. It discusses aspects of suspension design and geometry so detailed you'd almost need a degree to understand what they're talking about!

I'll take one example of the details this goes into, virtual kingpin axis (see page 226-229). Getting the kingpin axis as close to the center of the tire is critical to good handling (we were discussing ways to do this with the solid axle FSAE car I help out with by "staggering" the kingpins on the axle) and the virtual kingpin does this, you can see in the diagrams how the axis passes into the ground almost right where the center of the tire is. This is very good for handling, as it reduces "scrubbing" of the tire as you turn the steering wheel.

The sad thing is, once you go over in detail the advantages of the multilink design to a vehicle's handling (screw cost and saving space, that's for wussies) it makes you wonder why mitsu went to a macpherson strut design (well,I just said why, cost mostly! The new eclipse can't possible handle as well as our cars! but then again, they aren't marketing/selling them to people who care about performance anymore.)

back to reading the manuals!

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

spending too much time reading the on line tech manual [View all] , ModeratorVX100, Dec-17-01 08:03 AM
  RE: spending too much time reading the on line tech manual, Kaptain_Mike (Guest), Dec-17-01 09:10 AM, #1
RE: spending too much time reading the on line tech manual, TeamXtremeRS, Dec-17-01 10:45 AM, #2
      RE: spending too much time reading the on line tech manual, Kaptain_Mike (Guest), Dec-17-01 11:52 AM, #3
           RE: spending too much time reading the on line tech manual, BlackOZ, Dec-17-01 02:37 PM, #4

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #5123 Previous topic | Next topic