Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31437
View in linear mode

Subject: "now brakes smoking -- the safety inspection from hell!" Previous topic | Next topic
ggaarryySep-15-08 07:02 AM
Member since Sep 21st 2004
23 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31437, "now brakes smoking -- the safety inspection from hell!"

Why does one problem turn into two, then three...? lol

In two other posts, I outlines problems with brakes and tie rods:

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=95172&mesg_id=95172&page=

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=31431&mesg_id=31431&page=

So, looking fat dumb and happy and still greasy...I toodle off to get my car aligned and reinspected...two miles down the road, I was 'seating the pads' speeding up to about 40mph then breaking. After about 6 times -- I notice smoke coming from right front wheel...grrrr

It could be just normal from breaking in (they are ceramic pads) but with the bad uneven wear I noticed from that wheel earlier, I am also thinking it could be either sticking piston or guide pins in caliper bad. The piston retracts fine with a c clamp and sprung back out just fine too it seemed to me..and I lubed the hell out of the guide and lock pins. No vibration, shudder, noises or pulling when driving or braking...brake pedal is firm and stops fine. Fluid is fine.

My questions are...(1) how can you pinpoint what the problem from this point other than by just replacing the pins and piston (or entire caliper)? and (2) I would so hate to ruin the brand new rotor and pads -- is it okay to drive it a bit to see if the smoking stops without doing damage to either of them?

thanks ggaarryy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31437 Previous topic | Next topic