Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #1586
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Skunk2 coilovers HELP" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamJasonESi_TApr-09-01 01:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1588, "RE: Skunk2 coilovers HELP"
In response to In response to 1

Hey MArcus,

Since it was a lot of my blood sweat and tears (heh), I can answer a couple of your questions.

>Is it the swar bar link
>bolt, or the lower-most bolt,
>or the bolt that keeps
>the strut in place?

It's that lower-most bolt. OMG that bolt is such a pain. Within that lower fork arrangement, there's a rubber bearing right in the middle that's turning with the bolt. It appears that the rubber bearing has somehow bonded itself with the bolt prevent any iundependent bolt turning at all. And trust me, we used an additional jack on the knuckles of the suspension. We had it so there wasn't any stress on the strut at all.

I told Ryan to either consult this board for some tricks or get an impact wrench. My breaker bar just wasn't up to the task. The bolt would turn some with the rubber bearing turning also, and then turn back to the original spot after I released the bar. (just not a very nice bolt)

>Also, what kind of shocks are
>you using, and did you
>use any steel rings (with
>or without lip) for the
>collar?

"Cheap" Ryan is going with the stock KYB's. heh I think we also used a steel ring at the top of the first coilover. The directions explained using a steel L-ring, at a certain point and we followed suit. We also cut down a bump stop and a rubber bearing towards the top.

The Skunk2's are really nice looking pieces. The directions however, look like they were written by a 12-year old. (no offense to any 12-year olds on the the board )

Did you knock
>off the spring perch?

Yeah, it knocked right off.

Can't wait to get this stuff on for Ryan. And I told him the rears would be muuuch easier. What slowed us down on the first coilover was a very uncooperative sway bar link bolt. OMG, the 14mm nut on the back side would not hold therefore preventing us from backing out the bolt. We sprayed some lube stuff along with a little rust-loosening hammer action without any success. So we just were able to do some fanagling by leaving it on there.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)/Custom FMIC

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Skunk2 coilovers HELP [View all] , Ryan_Hes, Apr-08-01 12:28 PM
  RE: Skunk2 coilovers HELP, Teameclipse804, Apr-08-01 02:28 PM, #1
RE: Skunk2 coilovers HELP, TeamJasonESi_T, Apr-09-01 01:31 AM #2
      RE: Skunk2 coilovers HELP, Teameclipse804, Apr-09-01 08:02 AM, #3
      RE: Skunk2 coilovers HELP, TeamJasonESi_T, Apr-09-01 08:23 AM, #5
           RE: Skunk2 coilovers HELP, Teameclipse804, Apr-09-01 04:28 PM, #6
                RE: Skunk2 coilovers HELP, TeamJasonESi_T, Apr-10-01 02:33 AM, #7
      RE: Skunk2 coilovers HELP, George L, Apr-09-01 08:15 AM, #4
           RE: Skunk2 coilovers HELP, Ryan_RS, Apr-10-01 04:58 PM, #8

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #1586 Previous topic | Next topic