Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4980
View in linear mode

Subject: "Having crank signal problems with Symtech MS Controller " Previous topic | Next topic
scorplon81Sep-02-10 07:02 AM
Member since Oct 06th 2009
4 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4980, "Having crank signal problems with Symtech MS Controller "

I posted this on DSMTuners bought I thought it couldn't hurt to get more feedback!

I am trying to run a Symtech configured MS unit which I bought back in February. I am going to use it as a stand alone unit. I have the Innovate LC-1 which according to the install instructions along with the LED, it's working properly. The car is not firing at all. I pulled a spark plug and grounded it and turned it over and there is no spark. I didn't check to see if the injectors are doing anything yet. I loaded all the engine constants and followed the instructions on Megamanual. Its a little hard because they are using MT and not TS. When they got to part about filing in the maps I loaded the Symtech starter map. My theory was if it would start I would know everything is working right and then I could start tuning it. It would not start with the Symtech msq so I tried another on off their site that was closer to what I actually have done to the car. Still nothing.

I noticed that my tach in tunerstudio did not move at all when cranking. The Water temp, air temp, and map are all reading what they should be.

I tried turning the car over while probing the crank signal circuit and I had very low reading that was barely changing .28v to .02v. I put the stock computer back in and checked the voltage and got 1.3v to 4v.

I figured that my crank sensor was not getting proper power supply. I was using a adjustable voltage regulator which I adjusted to 9 volts because the stock computer was outputting that much to the sensors. I figured the voltage regulator didn't have a stable voltage. So I tried splitting the +5v TPS to the crank power circuit. Still the same results. So I bought an external voltage regulator that takes 10 to 16 voltages and outputs 9 volts all the time (Pictured below)

Now I knew for sure that I had a stable 9volt circuit. Still the same results on the signal circuit. I tried hooking the stock computer back up and used the new voltage regulator to power the circuit and disabled the power circuit coming from the stock computer. The car fired right up.

I checked the crank sensor with the Chrysler DRBIII and found it to be in sync with the cam sensor. So to me the crank sensor is good. But it was suggested that maybe I should replace my crank sensor. So I did and found that I had the same results.

Things I have done...
I checked and double checked every circuit from the 37pin connector to its other end at their respective connectors. All of which are .03ohms. I also check my grounds for high resistance and found all at .03ohms or less. I checked both the 5v and 8v circuits to make sure they were getting the proper voltage and they are.

I don't have an oscilloscope so I can't do any testing with that, which Symtech told me they needed in order to properly diagnose.

This is my most recent picture of the wiring diagram I made while installing the MS. The only difference being I am not splitting the +5v anymore which is what this picture shows.

Here are links to my Tunerstudio Project, data logs, My pinout from Symtech, and other documents I have stored that may be helpful:

Tunerstudio Project:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/cyx3euumgmdm87g/Scorplon2004%20TS%20Project.zip

Data logs:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jz3b5lqy2bagm

Other Documents:
http://www.mediafire.com/?47zlhxm3hmnvx

Symtech Pin Out:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/thwtgtjnimq/Michael_Knight_MS_Pinout.pdf

Basically this is my last effort to make it work before I send it back to Symtech for testing so any help would be appreciated! I know this is long and I may have left information out so bare with me if I say "oh ya i did that already!"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4980 Previous topic | Next topic