Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4972
View in linear mode

Subject: "I went a little crazy at Waytek Wire" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorCorbinAug-29-10 12:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4972, "I went a little crazy at Waytek Wire"

With all rewiring I've done related to Megasquirt and other projects, I am always struggling to find the right size and type of wire. The stuff you buy at the auto parts store or Radio Shack has crappy PVC insulation that melts in the engine bay, isn't gas resitant, or is too thick to allow a lot of wires in a small place. The stuff you buy from home improvement stores is often too large and inflexible. I keep a box of wire scraps left over from the Megasquirt harness, college lab, etc. I got sick of always scrounging for the right wires and running out to the store in the middle of a project. Sometimes I didn't have wires long enough and had to splice different colors together. I finally decided to suck it up and order proper automotive wire in a variety of colors:

It is TXL wire with a cross-linked PE jacket, which is resistant to high temperatures, gas/oil, and has the right jacket thickness like stock wires. Unfortunately, to get this kind of wire at a good price, you have to order in bulk from a company like Waytek Wire. I bought seven colors of 18 gage wire and three colors of 14 gage wire. Each spool is 250 feet. I now have 2,500 feet of wire! That is more than a lifetime supply. This is enough to pass down to my kid's kids. If anyone is interested, I'll probably cut a few lengths and post them in the sale section.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

I went a little crazy at Waytek Wire [View all] , ModeratorCorbin, Aug-29-10 12:49 PM
  RE: I went a little crazy at Waytek Wire, Moderatorteklein, Aug-29-10 12:54 PM, #1
RE: I went a little crazy at Waytek Wire, TeamDR1665, Aug-29-10 01:02 PM, #2
RE: I went a little crazy at Waytek Wire, freelancefool, Aug-29-10 01:35 PM, #3
RE: I went a little crazy at Waytek Wire, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Sep-02-10 08:08 AM, #4

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4972 Previous topic | Next topic