Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4659
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: dam car wont start and when it does it ides rough and cuts off" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Sep-28-09 11:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4664, "RE: dam car wont start and when it does it ides rough and cuts off"
In response to In response to 0

I would start by resetting the SAFC to ZERO across the board. You don't want it doing anything while you're troubleshooting. I don't trust those as far as I can throw them. Especially not on these cars.

Beyond that, do you have any codes? A dead O2 sensor can lead to a default fuel map that's inherently rich to save the engine, but that should come with a CEL.

Another bastard that will lead a parade of gremlins down your street is the CLT (coolant temp sensor). ECU uses coolant temperature at the radiator cap to determine fuel trims. Think warm up, enrichment mode. When these things fail, they tend to tell the ECU that the engine is -255* or so, resulting in the ECU doing everything it can to warm up. This isn't as noticeable when it's actually cold outside, but it can drive you crazy in the summer.

Beyond that, if it's been a while since you replaced the timing belt, or if you re-used the hydraulic tensioner last time you did, I have seen them gradually fail.

Loss of timing is catastrophic when the belt fails instantaneously at speed, but when the tensioner goes, timing slips away a bit at a time. Lose a half a tooth or so and idle gets rough. Loose a tooth or more and it starts idling like a POS Harley. Lose much more than that and it just wont start anymore.

Good luck sir.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

tuning issue. im stumped [View all] , chadusarmy, Sep-28-09 11:06 AM
  RE: tuning issue. im stumped, djtrickee, Sep-26-09 06:15 PM, #1
RE: tuning issue. im stumped, Moderatorbullettdsm, Sep-27-09 10:12 AM, #2
RE: tuning issue. im stumped, Moderatorteklein, Sep-27-09 04:52 PM, #3
dam car wont start and when it does it ides rough and cuts off, chadusarmy, Sep-28-09 11:06 AM, #
RE: dam car wont start and when it does it ides rough and cuts off, TeamDR1665, Sep-28-09 11:06 AM #4

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4659 Previous topic | Next topic