Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4228
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC" Previous topic | Last topic
TeamMetalJimJun-05-03 10:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4237, "RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC"
In response to In response to 0

Those are some good numbers Nathan & Todd. 23 max so far. I wonder if thats the limit.

About the costs...Something like the SAFC definately will cost some ching. Honestly though, most people interested in tuning buy one anyway. The FPR - right now you'de have to buy an adjustable one. But if we could come up with a way to modifiy ours like this http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/fpr.htm or this http://www.fwdmopar.com/sites/dennis/adjfpr.html then it wouldn't cost so much. I mean even if someone came up with an idea like the B&M command flow for our regulators - they're cheap too(relatively speaking). And a datalogger - mine was $122. Yeah it starts adding up....but then again modding always just starts to add up.

I think it'll be a cold day in hell(Sorry Gary) before we see another revision of the AFX ECU. At least thats what it seems like. It sounds to me that this tuning method that hasn't been explored to any great extent with the stock ECU. I'm just trying to explore it.

Dino, why don't you think that having an advanced curve would do much good? The AFX ECU guys seem to enjoy it tremendously, but they have good fuel curves as well. The plain ol stock ECU/SAFC combo can get you the timing - but it robs your fuel. I just think that if you could compensate for the fuel with an adjustable FPR then you would be able to enjoy the same benifits - unless the stock ECU limits the advance. Am I way off base? What am I missing?

I'd like to see more datalogged results. I hope 23 is NOT the advance limit. Like I said, I'm sure some of you turbo guys that used to lean out with the SAFC have an idea of how far the ECU takes the timing.

And btw, I don't think that it's nessicarily dangerous to test this theory. I won't be running boost here so knock would be just as dangerous as if I had filled with a bad tank of gas - bad but not tremendously dangerous. Knock at 10 pounds of boost is a different story. As far as being expensive for me - well I've already bought all of this stuff for the turbo system, but it'll be installed before the turbo and I thought it might be interesting to check out the possibility of actually having a good amount of timing advance with the stock ECU...on behalf of our N/A brethren.

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Timing advance with the S-AFC [View all] , TeamMetalJim, Jun-05-03 01:24 AM
  RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-05-03 04:07 AM, #1
RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, Teamner947, Jun-05-03 04:43 AM, #2
      RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, ModeratorVX100, Jun-05-03 05:41 AM, #3
           RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, TeamMichael_97RS, Jun-05-03 06:21 AM, #4
                RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, BlkTalon96, Jun-05-03 10:33 AM, #5
                     RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, steve0677, Jun-05-03 11:20 AM, #6
                          RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, Nitrous_RS1997, Jun-05-03 11:40 AM, #7
                               RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, TeamAvenger, Jun-05-03 01:11 PM, #8
RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, TeamMetalJim, Jun-05-03 10:37 PM #9
RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, TeamMichael_97RS, Jun-06-03 05:02 AM, #10
      RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, DarKReaLity, Jun-12-03 06:45 AM, #11
           RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-12-03 07:08 AM, #12

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4228 Previous topic | Last topic