Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4228
View in linear mode

Subject: "Timing advance with the S-AFC" Previous topic | Last topic
TeamMetalJimJun-05-03 01:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4228, "Timing advance with the S-AFC"

This is treated as somewhat of a curse for turbos...but what about the N/A guys. Bill actually came up with this idea and I figured I'd just bring it up here.

Its a known problem(for turbo guys) - leaning out with with a MAP modifier like the S-AFC will advance the timing. This COULD be a blessing for the N/A guys. I think the general consensus is that we should see about 17 degrees at WOT without leaning it out. How much timing have you seen while leaning it out? 20, 25, 30 degrees? How much did you "lean"? 10%, 20%, 50%? Is it worth persuing as a N/A mod? I mean, it'd be nice to get a few degrees - but it'd be nicer if we could get as much as we want.

The thing about it is, most N/A guys don't have adjustable fuel pressure regulators and don't upgrade to larger injectors. Well what if we did? I don't have an SAFC, but I do have a Field SFC - it does the same thing though(just another MAP modifier). I'll have an adjustable regulator soon enough, and it will be installed before I get the turbo on as well. I don't know how far the ECU will take the timing, or if there's a limit or anything. I suppose the only way to see would be to crank up the fuel pressure and lean it out till the trims are descent. Maybe if that's not enough advance, I could install some larger injectors and see if the ECU advances the timing even further. I have some 30lb injectors for the secondary rail - I could throw those up front and check it out.

What do you guys think? Worth looking into? I know at least one of you have datalogged the "SAFC timing advance"...otherwise how would we know about it? Any N/A guys out there with adjustable FPR, SAFC, datalogger, and possibly bigger injectors willing to check it out? Most of the turbo guys have all of this stuff, but I think the only way to really check this out safely would be to open the wastegate(disable the turbo) but I have no idea if that's even possible without getting any boost creep. I don't want anyone blowing up just to test this theory. But if you CAN disable the turbo without creeping...hmm.

I was planning to look into it after installing my 8-inj fuel system and before installing the turbo, but I just wanted to run the idea past you folks first.

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Timing advance with the S-AFC [View all] , TeamMetalJim, Jun-05-03 01:24 AM
  RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-05-03 04:07 AM, #1
RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, Teamner947, Jun-05-03 04:43 AM, #2
      RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, ModeratorVX100, Jun-05-03 05:41 AM, #3
           RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, TeamMichael_97RS, Jun-05-03 06:21 AM, #4
                RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, BlkTalon96, Jun-05-03 10:33 AM, #5
                     RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, steve0677, Jun-05-03 11:20 AM, #6
                          RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, Nitrous_RS1997, Jun-05-03 11:40 AM, #7
                               RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, TeamAvenger, Jun-05-03 01:11 PM, #8
RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, TeamMetalJim, Jun-05-03 10:37 PM, #9
RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, TeamMichael_97RS, Jun-06-03 05:02 AM, #10
      RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, DarKReaLity, Jun-12-03 06:45 AM, #11
           RE: Timing advance with the S-AFC, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-12-03 07:08 AM, #12

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4228 Previous topic | Last topic