Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #3975
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: MegaSquirt and knock sensor" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamXtremeRSAug-08-08 09:17 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3979, "RE: MegaSquirt and knock sensor"
In response to In response to 2

The stock ECU doesn't pull much timing at all when it sees knock. I've maybe seen a max of like 3 or 4 degrees at most. The matter of fact about these engines is that they were never designed to see boost, or power levels that would require a whole lot of knock induced timing retard. The 420a by design(esp the head/combustion chamber) is very knock retardant, even when using crap 87 octane fuel. This is why minimal timing advance is used at WOT. They assume 87 octane fuel, and of course being naturally aspirated, these engines just dont knock much, if any at all being NA.

There are some methods to monitor knock, but the best i've come across is using your ears. Search for "det cans". You can easily make your own, and work better than any electronic form of knock detection. Another thing you can do that works very well, is to wire up a mic input to the knock sensor, and listen through headphones. For example, wire to the knock sensor output wire, into a laptop mic input, then listen to the sensor through the headphone output. Detonation sounds are very distinct, and sound like loud splats.

The MS has knock inputs, but to trust the sensor and MS to read real knock, is too uncertain IMO.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

MegaSquirt and knock sensor [View all] , SilvrEclips, Aug-06-08 03:10 PM
  RE: MegaSquirt and knock sensor, eclipserst3, Aug-06-08 07:13 PM, #1
RE: MegaSquirt and knock sensor, SilvrEclips, Aug-07-08 11:17 AM, #2
      RE: MegaSquirt and knock sensor, TeamXtremeRS, Aug-08-08 09:17 AM #3
           RE: MegaSquirt and knock sensor, SilvrEclips, Aug-08-08 11:03 AM, #4

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #3975 Previous topic | Next topic