Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1184
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamXtremeRSAug-21-05 05:45 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1185, "RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark"
In response to In response to 0

Originally posted by rs-pssst
I am running spark, using the timing map similar to ner's and under high loads on the engine and over 10psi, I get a backfire type studdering at about 5k and up -could this be the timing map or is it more likely plugs/wires or coil pack. I am running stock wires and coil pack and have my plugs gapped to .025. I have my afr right at 11.5 What sounds should i be listening for beside detonation when i am tuning the map and what adjustments need to made when those souds are present. I am trying to eliminate whether it is software or hardware.

That's the exact same issue i had over 10 psi boost. Its a spark intensity issue, related to dwell time. Wasted spark dwell in the code was not right for almost all code versions, which means the coilpack is not getting charged fully. James had released code version 025i6, which he and others say has much better dwell. Try that code out and see what happens..I went the easy way out, but unfortunately was an expensive solution, by hooking up a Crane ignition box. I use the mitsu ignitor to fire the crane box, and it works beautifully. Ignition boxes dont rely on dwell, because of the box's ability to fully charge the coilpack almost instantly.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark [View all] , rs-pssst, Aug-20-05 10:02 AM
  RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark, TeamXtremeRS, Aug-21-05 05:45 AM #1
RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark, rs-pssst, Aug-21-05 06:11 AM, #2
      RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark, TeamXtremeRS, Aug-21-05 08:36 AM, #3
      RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark, Teamner947, Aug-21-05 09:08 AM, #4
           RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark, rs-pssst, Aug-22-05 02:39 AM, #5
                RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark, rs-pssst, Aug-23-05 01:38 PM, #6
                     RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark, Teamner947, Aug-24-05 02:51 AM, #7
                          RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark, TeamXtremeRS, Aug-24-05 01:46 PM, #8
                               RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark, rs-pssst, Aug-26-05 07:47 AM, #9

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1184 Previous topic | Next topic