Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #95445
View in threaded mode

Subject: "RE: timing belt kit..." Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorbullettdsmJan-03-06 09:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#95487, "RE: timing belt kit..."
In response to In response to 12

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Originally posted by bullettdsm Sorry guys, I can't agree with that one. My headgasket on my AWD made 120k before someone through a rod on it. My 97 rs made 140 before the headgasket went. That was never standard practice on the Vdub rabbits. I can see doing a clutch if your throw out bearing goes, but pulling the head when you do a timing belt job, naw I'll wait until it goes before I pop the head. MB
Who cares about rabbits and AWD, this is 2gnt. You obviously know nothing about the DSM you own. Have you searched. Obviously not and dont bring up your AWD since it is made by mitsubishi it shares nothing in common with the 420a. Most people dont even know their headgasket was leaking. Our Headgaskets dont blow per se. They begin to leak oil behind cylinder #4. All you need to do is shine a light up from the bottom and lay on your back and look. Our headgaskets are not a problem with the headgasket but rather a problem with the headbolt length. I suggest you read more rather than contributing to the misinformed information that is out there. I have had to replace my 96 at 76k, my 97 at 115k and my other 97 was done at 120k.
\
Ah yes, the friendly 2gnt. If you dare to disagree you know nothing about your car and your a dork or whatever.

Well first off they do have "kits" for the timing components. As a matter of fact partsdinosaur carries one. Now in these kits I have yet to see a headgasket or headstuds as one of the components. Why, because generally a timing belt change is just that, a timing belt change. I can understand the concept of "while you're there". The waterpump certainly fits that description. But what you're telling that new to 420a's guy (he only has 8 posts with a real new join date) is that he has to also do a headgasket. You have no information on if it has been done, how many miles are on the car, what has been done to the engine etc. Now in real honest time you have just extended his install about 3-4 more hours. Chances are he does not have pneumatic tools or a lift (most of the guys I help out around here have pretty much just their basic hand tools. BUT they do have an eagerness to learn and aren't afraid of turning a wrench, which works for me). He may have never even done a headgasket. This can certainly steer him away from doing it himself. I was under the impression that these forums were there to help people who wanted to do it themselves as well as extend the interest of the car in general.

Terry, don't get me wrong, I can understand bringing up the issues of the headgaskets so that they can make their own decisions (and yes I am fully aware of the headstud situation, of which I have searched in the past as well as many other things. I do use the search button on the sites quite a bit. Then I make my own INFORMED decision) but doing a timing belt is one thing, doing a headgasket, for many, is very daunting.

As for your HG replacement numbers I'm a little confused. Shouldn't your HG have been done on the two 97s that you own? Maybe you didn't own them at the time but let's say the timing belt was done between 60 to 70k. That means that you got 45 to 55k out of one and 50 to 60k out of the other. To someone who is just learning the car that would be a lot of miles to gain confidence in their ability to attack the HG (IF they needed to do it). That's at least a couple more years of driving.

And yes, my HG on the 420a blew in spectacular fashion. I was James bond 007 going down the road for a few miles. Nothing but smoke screen (that was right after I put the stock parts back on for emissions). Now, I can see doing the timing belt then, when you already have it off to get to the head. That would be doing it while you're there.

I know you are going to look at this as some aggressive, I'll show you kind of thing. It's definitely not. I'm more weary than anything by seeing someone have a different opinion, explain his position and then be attacked for it. Silly me.

As for the dreaded "spreading misinformation charge", I did not. I just stated that they do have a choice of waiting to do their HG if they so choose. I gave real experiences and real numbers.

And here comes the smoke.....

MB

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

timing belt kit... [View all] , 95Eclipse302, Jan-01-06 06:56 PM
  RE: timing belt kit..., RxR_Eclipse, Jan-01-06 07:19 PM, #1
RE: timing belt kit..., boosted60trimrst, Jan-01-06 08:23 PM, #2
RE: timing belt kit..., greygoose, Jan-01-06 08:39 PM, #3
RE: timing belt kit..., 95Eclipse302, Jan-02-06 05:06 AM, #4
RE: timing belt kit..., 95Eclipse302, Jan-02-06 05:08 AM, #5
RE: timing belt kit..., Moderatorbullettdsm, Jan-02-06 05:45 AM, #6
RE: timing belt kit..., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jan-02-06 05:59 AM, #7
RE: timing belt kit..., 95Eclipse302, Jan-02-06 06:12 AM, #8