Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #132863
View in linear mode

Subject: "No spark, need help (REVISED)" Previous topic | Next topic
bnissonJan-02-11 03:19 PM
Member since Mar 31st 2010
82 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#132863, "No spark, need help (REVISED)"
Jan-02-11 03:22 PM by bnisson

About a week ago I washed my motor down with degreaser and water, then blew it visibly dry with air compressor. after a few hours i drove the car about 10 miles, parked it for a few more hours, then proceeded to drive back home. On the way home i noticed the rpms shot up to around 3k in-between shifts and at idle. I pulled over and turned the car off and back on. When i turned it back on the idle was back to normal until i took off down the road again where the high idle returned. When i got home i looked under the hood and noticed one intake cam gear bolt hanging out and the gear had slipped to 10 degrees retarded. I pushed the car in the corner of the yard and went to bed.

The next day my father and my uncle reset the time and installed new bolts in the cam gear. When they tried to crank the car to see if it bent a valve, the car spun but didnt crank. They pulled the plugs and they were wet with gas. They then got an old spark plug that they knew worked and tested to see if it would get spark and it didnt. My uncle did a compression check and all the cylinders had very low compression, if not 0. He said the gasoline had sank down to the piston rings and caused the compression problem. He poured oil in each cylinder and did a compression check with much better results.

After getting all the oil out of the cylinders, i proceeded to check many different things to fix the spark.

I have done/tried the following:

-new coil pack
-new spark plugs and wires
-tested the wiring harness that goes into the coil pack (voltmeter jumped around too much for accurate reading, but test light showed constant power while trying to crank the motor)
-put crank sensor on an ohmmeter and didnt get a reading
-tested MFI relay (working)

I am running megasquirt so my CEL does not work.

I am getting a pulse width, duty cycle, spark advance, and rpm reading when i try to crank the car (via megatune).

My plan is to try to hook up a diagnostic tool tomorrow and hopefully i can get a code even though my CEL light is not working.

I am not worried about the compression problem right now.. all i want is to see a spark.

Any ideas? thanks in advance and sorry for any previous confusion

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

No spark, need help (REVISED) [View all] , bnisson, Jan-02-11 03:19 PM
  RE: No spark, need help (REVISED), Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-03-11 08:58 AM, #1
RE: No spark, need help (REVISED), bnisson, Jan-04-11 04:01 PM, #2
      RE: No spark, need help (REVISED), Moderatorbullettdsm, Jan-04-11 06:16 PM, #3
           RE: No spark, need help (REVISED), bnisson, Jan-06-11 08:13 AM, #4

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #132863 Previous topic | Next topic