Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #137419
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cylinder wall scored.....Am I okay? Need some input" Previous topic | Next topic
VendorRed90SevOct-21-12 08:55 PM
Member since Aug 28th 2010
261 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137419, "Cylinder wall scored.....Am I okay? Need some input"
Oct-21-12 09:13 PM by Red90Sev

So, I picked up a pretty sweet deal about a week ago. $800 for a white 97 in decent condition, the only thing was, it threw a rod through the block. So I bought a spare short block that I thought was going to be a simple disassemble and stock rebuild without having to spend the money to over bore it. Turns out, cylinder #3 has some gouges in it that caught the fingernail pretty good. I took the hone to it to see if going to the max tolerance would clear it up, but it did not. I've got the cylinder honed out as far as I can to keep standard piston size... The gouges are still about .001 to .002 deep in the walls if that. I'm basically trying to get the car running with the least amount of money possible. SO, what do you guys think? Am I okay to put it back together? I've built many 420a's, but I have never put one back together with scored cylinder walls and normally never would. I'm wondering what to expect if I do go forward with it like this. Will it burn oil badly? Anyway, really just looking for some input here as I have no idea what to expect if I put it all together without going with oversize pistons. Thanks!
Here's a pic of it after a little light honing was done. This is just cylinder #3, all other cylinders are just fine... I also honed it much more after these three pics...

Here's what it looks like after all the honing I can get away with....

And here's some pics of the car I got for $800.. Pretty eh?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Cylinder wall scored.....Am I okay? Need some input [View all] , VendorRed90Sev, Oct-21-12 08:55 PM
  RE: Cylinder wall scored.....Am I okay? Need some input, SilvrEclips, Oct-22-12 06:38 AM, #1
RE: Cylinder wall scored.....Am I okay? Need some input, cimotorsports, Oct-22-12 07:02 PM, #2
RE: Cylinder wall scored.....Am I okay? Need some input, Gruff511, Oct-22-12 10:40 PM, #3
      RE: Cylinder wall scored.....Am I okay? Need some input, Broke4going, Nov-21-12 07:51 PM, #4
           RE: Cylinder wall scored.....Am I okay? Need some input, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-26-12 01:56 PM, #5
                RE: Cylinder wall scored.....Am I okay? Need some input, VendorRed90Sev, Nov-28-12 01:16 PM, #6

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #137419 Previous topic | Next topic