Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #110082
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: engine knocking, possibly misfiring, running strangely" Previous topic | Next topic
EvilTalon666Sep-21-08 10:04 PM
Member since Mar 26th 2008
18 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#110084, "RE: engine knocking, possibly misfiring, running strangely"
In response to In response to 1

well, there arent any CEL's going on. i always check my oil religiously, however there were two instances when my engine was starved for oil (but not for very long): once after i put the new oil pump on and the freak incedent when my oil pressure sensor cracked and started squirting oil out. the knock could have easily been caused by these events, but it didnt really show up for about two months.

the whirring noise is most definetly coming fom inside the timing cover. the cam bearings were most likely replaced by the guy i bought the car from. i replaced the idler pulleys as an assembly, and im fairly sure those are sealed. Ive heard of people having this problem when converting to mechanical tensioning, but it was only one or two instances. at some point soon im going to have to check my tensioner and see if the spring tang is still lined up.

the wires arent incredibly old, but im probably going to try changing them. they arent corroded or cracking or anything like that. i havent checked the spark on each cylinder while the cars running but i plan on doing that pretty soon. ive tested the secondry resistance on my coilpack and gotten 14 ohms for both coils.

im probably gonna look into changing the map sensor and the crank position sensor pretty soon. what are the IAT and CTS? ive never heard of those before...

i dont think that the knock is bad enough to be a spun bearing, but im pretty sure ive got some extra clearance in my rod bearing though.

thanks for the suggestions

For anyone who was wondering, yes my user name is a joke.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

engine knocking, possibly misfiring, running strangely [View all] , EvilTalon666, Sep-21-08 02:33 PM
  RE: engine knocking, possibly misfiring, running strangely, 96TurboGS, Sep-21-08 07:03 PM, #1
RE: engine knocking, possibly misfiring, running strangely, EvilTalon666, Sep-21-08 10:04 PM #2
      RE: engine knocking, possibly misfiring, running strangely, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Sep-22-08 03:04 AM, #3
           RE: engine knocking, possibly misfiring, running strangely, EvilTalon666, Sep-22-08 09:41 AM, #4
                RE: engine knocking, possibly misfiring, running strangely, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Sep-22-08 05:01 PM, #5
                     RE: engine knocking, possibly misfiring, running strangely, EvilTalon666, Sep-22-08 06:45 PM, #6
                          RE: engine knocking, possibly misfiring, running strangely, KnightHawk434th, Sep-26-08 07:40 PM, #7
                               RE: engine knocking, possibly misfiring, running strangely, EvilTalon666, Sep-27-08 01:10 PM, #8

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #110082 Previous topic | Next topic