Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8999
View in linear mode

Subject: "Interest in modified OBX diff group buy/rebuilt T-350's" Previous topic | Next topic
chipdoggOct-28-12 07:45 AM
Member since Oct 28th 2012
44 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8999, "Interest in modified OBX diff group buy/rebuilt T-350's"

Mods, if I have broken any rules by posting, please let me know. I'm not used to the format of this forum so I probably missed something.

First, let me introduce myself. I'm Jacob, been racing Neons for 8 years now, my current one is a magenta (barney purple) coupe with a 2.4 swap, cams, standalone, 4.12 trans with a Quaiffe, and some other goodies that has run 13.3-13.4's on slicks with full interior. I've been rebuilding T-350 transmissions as a hobby for the past 3-4 years. I was trained by Ed Peters, who was an engineer at Chrysler for many years and does alot of transmission work in his retirement. He puts on tech seminars every so often, including one that I helped with this past June for the national Neon meet in Denver.

I've recently acquired 35 T-350's, plus another 20 empty cases, and will be picking up several OBX differentials soon. I figured there might be a few people on here that would be interested in my services.

I normally charge $1200 for a full rebuild, including all new bearings, seals, synchro fibrides, shift levers, and other various little components, also includes sandblasting the case and making it look new. All the oiling holes on the input/output shaft are chamfered for improved oiling as well.

Obx diffs are selling on ebay for $480 or so with shipping and need to be modified to work properly, plus they need bearings and a speedo gear installed, which is another $40-50 from dealership, so you're looking at $530 or so plus modifying for one off ebay.

Things that need to be modified are:
Inside of side gears need to be beveled to allow the axle clip to release.
After bearings are pressed on, the inside bore needs to be opened up about .002"
Speedo gear needs to be reshaped where it locks onto diff
Bolts and belleville washers need to be inspected and possibly replaced. The old diffs had problems with this, but the new ones seem to have it taken care of.

I'm thinking of having a group buy. Itd be $475 per obx with new bearings and speedo gear, modified, and shipped. Just gotta install it and shim the bearings. Would even include new axle seals. I'd need 5 guys for $475, 10 for $450.

Or a package with an obx installed in a rebuilt trans. 5 guys would be $1600 (or $1150 without the OBX, same price if you send a diff to install), 10 guys would be $1400 ($1050 without the OBX, same price if you send a diff to install). Includes shipping and everything, only a $150 core charge. I usually charge $300 for a core.

You'd be able to pick final drive (3.94 or 3.55), early or late (HD) gearing (1st and 2nd got slightly higher ratios in 2001), and which 5th you want (.81 or .72). I can even mix the 3-4 and 1-2 around if you want early 1-2 gearing and late 3-4 gearing with whichever 5th. Either bellhousing too, I have several of each, although you guys would all have the hydraulic bellhousings.

I'd require full payment upfront, and delivery expected around February 1st. I'll need time to get the group buy setup and finished, buy the diffs, rebuild the transmissions, and get them ready to ship.

Later the price for a rebuilt trans with new obx in it will be around $1700 plus $300 core charge. So now if I get 10 guys, you can have one for $1550 including core charge if you don't want to send a trans back (can use the crate I ship yours in and send me the trans when you swap it).

I'm advertising this on several forums, so I wouldn't need 10 guys on here, just 10 total. If I get 5 guys that want just a diff, 3 that want a diff in a trans, and 2 that want a trans with their own diff installed, then that will equal 10.

Here are some pics of my work:

Shafts removed with the Miller pallet I have (I have pretty much every special tool needed to do the T-350)

Balkhalf fresh out of my blast cabinet

Finished trans

Oil holes chamfered:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Interest in modified OBX diff group buy/rebuilt T-350's [View all] , chipdogg, Oct-28-12 07:45 AM
  RE: Interest in modified OBX diff group buy/rebuilt T-350's, chipdogg, Dec-15-12 11:49 AM, #1

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8999 Previous topic | Next topic