Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8959
View in linear mode

Subject: "Clutch Replacement Options - Question / Suggestions / Mileage" Previous topic | Next topic
KTECLIPSEMay-14-12 12:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
537 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8959, "Clutch Replacement Options - Question / Suggestions / Mileage"
May-14-12 12:21 PM by KTECLIPSE

Hey Everyone,

I'm not sure how many people remember me from my past posts many years ago but I am a long time member who still has my turbo charged 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse. Maybe my signature picture will help bring back some memories.

Before asking my clutch question, let me list the current specifications of my car.

Specifications
-----------------

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
  - VT Engines Built Bottom End
      + 8.8 : 1 Compression Ratio
      + Forged Internals (JE Pistons and Eagle Rods)
  - Hahn Stage 2 Turbo Kit (s16g) running at 10 psi
  - Side Mount Intercooler
  - Hahn Port Fueler
  - GReddy Turbo CAT back exhaust (Eclipse GST model)
  - Clutch Masters Stage IV clutch (6 puck ceramic)

Driving Characteristics
----------------------------

My Eclipse is driven approximately 60 miles daily through stop and go New Jersey / New York highway traffic and recently my clutch has started to slip when placed under load (boost). This is kinda disappointing to me since the clutch only has 30,500 miles on it. It has been babied all its' life - never raced, never dropped at a light, always boosted from a rolling start, etc.

Here's what I'm looking for in a new clutch. I would like a clutch that would hold my current 10 psi power with the ability to hold 15 psi in the future. I would also like a clutch that has more longevity (perhaps 100,000 miles) and not as severe an engagement as the Clutch Masters Stage IV. I believe that the slight chatter from a start at each light in stop and go traffic has caught up to this clutch. I even called Clutch Masters to get an idea of the average life of this clutch and they didn't have an answer but they seemed surprised that I achieved 30,000 miles.

Clutch Options
------------------

- Clutch Masters
      + Stage II
         - Modular Clutch
         - Extra long life street system
         - FX200 Clutch Disc (Steel backed Carbon Kevlar disc)
         - 70% Increase in holding capacity over stock

+ Stage III
         - Modular Clutch
         - Heavy-duty street & racing system
         - FX300 Clutch Disc (Steel Backed Segmented Kevlar Disc)
         - 110% Increase in holding capacity over stock

- ACT
      + DN2-HDSS
         - Non-modular clutch (must purchase flywheel)
         - Heavy Duty Pressure Plate
         - Performance Street Disc (Organic Friction Material)
         - Clutch (Pressure Plate and Disc) is recommended for an Eclipse GST
         - 310 ft/lbs torque capacity
         - Highest non-race clutch setup
              + Next clutch with more holding power is a six puck setup which is very similar to my current setup

Questions / Comments
-----------------------------

1) Given my setup and driving characteristics, will these clutches be enough for my 10 to 15 psi power? (I feel that they may be enough since they are also listed for the Eclipse GST which produces 210 HP and 214 ft/lbs)

2) Are there better options for a clutch that has 10 to 15 psi holding power that engages with little to no chatter and has 100,000 mile longevity (don't want to change a clutch every 30,000 miles)?

3) If the clutches listed are sufficient, which one would you choose and why?

4) If you have a Clutch Masters Stage III, how's the engagement?

Please speak your mind as I would like to get the right clutch this time around. Also, it may be helpful to post your car setup and clutch type with current mileage.

Thanks!
--Kurt

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Clutch Replacement Options - Question / Suggestions / Mileage [View all] , KTECLIPSE, May-14-12 12:10 PM
  RE: Clutch Replacement Options - Question / Suggestions / Mileage, SilvrEclips, May-14-12 12:38 PM, #1
RE: Clutch Replacement Options - Question / Suggestions / Mileage, Gruff511, May-14-12 01:05 PM, #2
RE: Clutch Replacement Options - Question / Suggestions / Mileage, AdministratorCODE4, May-14-12 01:32 PM, #3
RE: Clutch Replacement Options - Question / Suggestions / Mileage, justins71, Jul-09-12 04:51 PM, #4
      RE: Clutch Replacement Options - Question / Suggestions / Mileage, KTECLIPSE, Jul-10-12 08:47 AM, #5
           RE: Clutch Replacement Options - Question / Suggestions / Mileage, KTECLIPSE, Jul-10-12 09:07 AM, #6
                RE: Clutch Replacement Options - Question / Suggestions / Mileage, Broke4going, Nov-21-12 09:50 PM, #7

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8959 Previous topic | Next topic