Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #6408
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Transmission clanking?? :(" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665May-26-07 07:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6416, "RE: Transmission clanking?? :("
In response to In response to 0
May-26-07 07:50 AM by DR1665

Originally posted by upincomin
**Note, I did lift the car, and had someone SLOWLY put it in gear and get the wheels turning so I could pinpoint noise, seems to becoming from one axle boot to the other includding the DIFF. The noise was too big and loud to pinpoint to one small spot, but it is in any of these 3 parts..

First of all, if you're all stock, you really have no need of a $1000 LSD. An LSD would be super nice to have, but the number of people I know actually sporting a Quaiffe in the 2GNT isn't even 20 on this board, az2gnt, and Tuners. If you're going to get one, I'd suggest reading up on Neons.org about how the guys over there got the Phantom Grip to work for them. I have a buddy who runs one in his rally Neon and he swears by it, so they're not all that bad.

You also don't have need of upgraded axles. Only when you boost the car and make enough power to snap a stocker should you invest that kind of money. In the meantime, if you've still got your old shafts with the torn boots, throw some rubber gloves on, grab your snap ring pliers and a bucket you can fill with simple green or other degreaser, and disassemble your CV joints, clean them up, regrease them, and put a new boot on them so you have a spare set. Most boot kits come with not only the boot, but the clamp and fresh grease as well. If you pull the axle and clean it up before replacing the boot on the car, you will have better luck. It's more messy than hard.

I know how it's easy to start thinking about bullet-proofing your shit so you don't have to go through all this again, but there's really not that kind of need when you're otherwise stock. Something is fucking with you and we need to figure that out. The next thing I would try is pulling the lower access panel on the trans and peeking in there when it's running to see if it makes location of the noise any easier.

You're certain there's nothing contacting either of the axles between the hubs and trans, right? You've since filled the trans up with the new fluid? Was there any "glitter" in the old fluid when you drained it? Is this ONLY in one gear? The only two times I've ever had clanking noises from the transmission were...

1. Flexplate bolts failed, separating the flexplate from the clutch and causing it to go circular saw on my transmission, resulting in a massive hole that drained the fluid out the bottom. Removing the access panel next to the oil pan will allow you to ensure you still have all four of those bolts in place and secure.

2. Output shaft bearing scattered on me. It's a roller bearing a couple inches across. Hardened steel rollers in a plastic race. When it fails, you get these little quarter-inch-long steel cylinders flying all over the inside of your trans and it's not good. Here's a couple pictures. (They also illustrate what you'll find when you get into the trans.)

***HUGE PICTURES***
http://az2gnt.net/DR1665/Daisy/NV-T350/outBearing1.JP G
http://az2gnt.net/DR1665/Daisy/NV-T350/outBearing2.JP G
http://az2gnt.net/DR1665/Daisy/NV-T350/outBearing3.JP G

As far as I know, Terry and Dino are the resident experts when it comes to these transmissions. They tend to get in here more often than I do, so hopefully one of them will pass through soon and can offer you some more detailed advice.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Transmission clanking?? :( [View all] , upincomin, May-25-07 11:24 AM
  RE: Transmission clanking?? :(, RoninEclipse2G, May-25-07 01:05 PM, #1
RE: Transmission clanking?? :(/ BIG UPGRADES?!?, upincomin, May-25-07 05:46 PM, #2
      RE: Transmission clanking?? :(/ BIG UPGRADES?!?, RoninEclipse2G, May-26-07 06:26 AM, #3
RE: Transmission clanking?? :(, TeamDR1665, May-26-07 07:49 AM #4
RE: Transmission clanking?? :(, upincomin, May-26-07 12:16 PM, #5
      RE: Transmission clanking?? :(, upincomin, May-26-07 12:30 PM, #6
      RE: Transmission clanking?? :(, Moderatorbullettdsm, May-27-07 02:19 AM, #7
           RE: Transmission clanking?? :(, upincomin, May-27-07 12:09 PM, #8
           RE: Transmission clanking?? :(, upincomin, Jun-21-07 07:07 PM, #9
                RE: Transmission clanking?? :(, grain, Jun-24-07 09:36 AM, #10
                     RE: Transmission clanking?? :(, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jun-24-07 04:38 PM, #11

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #6408 Previous topic | Next topic