Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #478
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: what does it sound like???" Previous topic | Next topic
MathasOct-30-01 01:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
41 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#483, "RE: what does it sound like???"
In response to In response to 4

LAST EDITED ON 30-Oct-01 AT 06:51 PM (PST)

"Will these be able to bring enough bass to the table to turn some heads. I didnt want to buy a woofer yet because I want either the JL audio stealthbox or a custom enclosure and I plan on getting that over the summer. But what do you think about these"

Will they have enough bass to turn heads? Probably not. It would be VERY hard for full-range speakers as small as a 6.5 or 6x9 to produce that kind of bass, particularly when driven by a head unit only. They just aren't designed to play both that low and that loud at the same time.

Add in the fact that the 6x9's are tri-axial(or 3-way) speakers, and that limits it even more. Don't get me wrong, tri-axials can be very good speakers, but having the tweeter and midrange speaker right in the middle of the woofer will block some of the air(sound) that's being moved by the center area of the woofer.

Looking at the stats you provided, the lowest either speaker will play is down to about 40Hz on the 6.5's. Really deep rap bass is in the neighborhood of 45Hz, so those speakers will probably be able to reproduce those notes, just not loudly enough to turn heads. Certainly not when only getting 25W power RMS.

Now what do I think of them? They don't seem bad by looking at the stats, but I haven't had a chance to listen to those specific speakers, so I can't say from first-hand knowledge. They certainly sound like an adequate speaker for everyday music, I just wouldn't try to crank up the volume a lot on anything with really deep bass and expect to feel it like you would from a sub.

If you're looking for the kind of bass that turns heads and can be heard/felt from 3 blocks away, I'd definately at least talk to a local shop about a custom enclosure for a subwoofer or two. If the shop has any salespeople or installers who know what they're doing, they should be able to determine which type of box best suits your musical tastes and your budget. If they can't make one for you that fits in your budget, they can probably get you into a pre-fab box that will still perform well, if not AS well as custom.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

what does it sound like??? [View all] , 1TuffRS, Oct-29-01 03:06 PM
  RE: what does it sound like???, Teameclipse804, Oct-29-01 07:11 PM, #1
RE: what does it sound like???, 1TuffRS, Oct-30-01 01:49 AM, #2
RE: what does it sound like???, Mathas, Oct-30-01 12:05 PM, #3
RE: what does it sound like???, 1TuffRS, Oct-30-01 12:15 PM, #4
      RE: what does it sound like???, Mathas, Oct-30-01 01:44 PM #5

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #478 Previous topic | Next topic