Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12973
View in linear mode

Subject: "Serious problem with capacitors" Previous topic | Next topic
TuxdreamerxAug-16-08 08:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12973, "Serious problem with capacitors"
Aug-16-08 08:54 PM by Tuxdreamerx

Ok so heres the deal I hooked my system up and I have 3 capacitors (I only have so many because two were given to me for free) I have 1 1.0 farad and 2 0.5 farad capacitors. Well I went to drive the car for the first time this morning after adding that stuff and my throttle cable got stiff so I pulled over and checked it and and the damn thing was SMOKING! So I shut the car off and spent 2 hours trying to get the rubber that had melted to the inside of the cable to break loose. Well in the process of doing that I touched the cable to the intake and got a spark! So I got a screwdriver and started checking it out and I was getting sparks everywhere. I thought I had a serious electrical problem but finally I said the only thing I have changed is this system so I unplugged the wire and what do you know the sparking issue is GONE. I think I jumpered my capacitors wrong because I looked and I have no wires mixed on positive and negitive and my system was working just fine. The rubber cover on the cable melted obviously because there is a metal sleeve it slides in and it was generating a spark inside of there everytime it moved and it just finally melted from the heat of the current. So heres how I have the caps hooked up now.

The 1.0 Fared has the main line coming into it and also has the main ground going to the body and I have a + and - wire connected to the + and - on one of the 0.5 farad caps and then a + and - going from that cap to the other 0.5 farad cap and the wires going to the amp are also coming out of the 1.0 farad cap.

I have a feeling I have something screwed up. I doubt I have too many farads in the caps because I have seen like 10.0 farad caps before. But anyway I believe the caps are causing the short due to how I have them hooked up. So if any audio techs or something that has done this could tell me what I did wrong to cause this weird short please let me know.

P.S. The main power wire is disconnected for now until I figure this issue out. I dont need to melt anything else down because my Throttle cable is now totally trashed but barley works and it is stiff as hell.

Thanks in advance for any advice and I do apologize for the long post I just want to make sure I have a fully detailed problem. I also did a search and couldnt find any info related to this.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Serious problem with capacitors [View all] , Tuxdreamerx, Aug-16-08 08:53 PM
  RE: Serious problem with capacitors, DanKid, Aug-18-08 05:30 PM, #1
RE: Serious problem with capacitors, Tuxdreamerx, Aug-18-08 07:35 PM, #2
      RE: Serious problem with capacitors, Tuxdreamerx, Aug-20-08 05:15 PM, #3

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12973 Previous topic | Next topic