Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11969
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Questions for the Smart People" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamXtremeRSFeb-14-06 01:35 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11980, "RE: Questions for the Smart People"
In response to In response to 0

Originally posted by Bookforsaken
I have a good knowledge of electronics and cars decent enough anyway. I have seen this board off and on but am pretty new here. I have a couple of questions I would like answered and would encourage input. Because math speaking I suck. I can build stuff and have a good overrall sense but math I don't get and it seems to me that making a good sounding enclosure is kinda difficult if you build yourself. I want to make a box for 2 12's that will sit flush with the carpet like some of the other people have done on this board. Like going down into the stairwell. First of all would lining with fiberglass help at all or just using all of sound deadener for that kind of setup. I plan on using sound deadener inside the box. And Audiobahn recommends using polyurethane on the box before you put carpet on to finish it. I got the basic idea of what I need to build but I am trying to get a good box that will sound great. I see all these figures its like those the subs are 400 watts RMS a piece. Diameter of speaker is 12 1/8". Hole for speaker will be 10 7/8". Depth is 6 3/8. Displacement 0.23 cu. ft. Says recommend 2.26 cu. ft. And later on for sealed boxes says like sealed box minimum for a 12 is min. 0.75 cu. ft. And 1.5 cu. ft. maximum...says volume of box is h x w x d divided by 1728. I want to make a exact box for these subs but these figures mess with me. I am about to get the measurements for the trunk laid out. But would like someone maybe someone who has already done what does that mean for me building the box. Like some ballpark figures on lengths and widths...maybe a walkthrough if someone has them. Like I said I can build stuff well. But the match gets me. Josh

Well if your target inside airspace is 2.26 cu ft, then you need to add to that for the displacement of the sub( .23 cu ft), which means you need a total inside airspace of 2.49 cu ft. Sealed boxes are a bit forgiving with airspace, so round it to 2.50 cu ft. You have the right equasion of L W H divided by 1728. Just play around with those dimensions until you get the shape of box you want, equalling 2.5 cu ft airspace. Always pay attention to the thickness of the wood you are using, preferably 3/4" MDF. You will need to keep that in mind when finding external dimensions of your box. You can adjust the total airspace from the recomended, to personalize the tune of your sealed box. Typically, a larger airspace will give a lower resonant frequency(box will be louder at a lower frequency), and smaller airspace makes it boomier, and less loud at lower frequencies. If you listen to mostly rock type music, use the recomended airspace, if you listen to rap type music, if you can add maybe .5 cu ft of airspace. If you listen to all types really, and want the best all around frequency response, use the recomended airspace value.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Questions for the Smart People [View all] , Bookforsaken, Feb-13-06 04:57 PM
  RE: Questions for the Smart People, Silv Blt, Feb-13-06 05:31 PM, #1
RE: Questions for the Smart People, TeamXtremeRS, Feb-14-06 01:35 PM #2

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11969 Previous topic | Next topic