Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #79487
View in linear mode

Subject: "!@#$ OIL!" Previous topic | Next topic
xtrickedeclipsexNov-19-04 08:40 AM
Member since Oct 12th 2003
620 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#79487, "!@#$ OIL!"
Nov-19-04 08:41 AM by xtrickedeclipsex

Fuck... OK, turbo went out once, we didn’t no why....Turbo went out a second time, found out there was a kink way back in the oil line....Now, i *THINK* the turbo is going out again. But this time it’s a different.

Before, at idle i would spew sooo much smoke out of my exhaust. Both times it did that same thing, the seals went and it was passing oil over to the hot side. So at idle it would just smoke like a mother fucker.

Now it’s different. I cruise, drive, boost, whatever it will not smoke. The only time it smokes is when I use my gears to slow me down (compression breaking). So if im coming to a stop, and I put it in second to slow me down, it will smoke for a good 30 seconds then go away. But if I come to a stop, and just cruise to a stop in neutral, it won’t smoke at all.

Im guessing it does it when im compression breaking because that when my vac is the highest. Maybe, it’s sucking oil thro the seal? But that doesn’t even make sense…I have no idea, its strange…any ideas?

p.s did a comp test, 185, 185,180, 175
---------------------------------------

"Oh yea, well...My manifold does cool twisty things"

www.EnhancedMotorSports.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: !@#$ OIL!, turbo8u, Nov-19-04 09:16 AM, #1
RE: !@#$ OIL!, xtrickedeclipsex, Nov-19-04 09:41 AM, #2
      RE: !@#$ OIL!, turbo8u, Nov-19-04 09:48 AM, #3
           RE: !@#$ OIL!, xtrickedeclipsex, Nov-19-04 10:30 AM, #4
                RE: !@#$ OIL!, turbo8u, Nov-19-04 06:18 PM, #5
                     RE: !@#$ OIL!, xtrickedeclipsex, Nov-19-04 09:33 PM, #6
                          RE: !@#$ OIL!, DJ420a, Nov-20-04 03:05 PM, #7
                               RE: !@#$ OIL!, Mattchew, Nov-21-04 11:31 AM, #8
                                    RE: !@#$ OIL!, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-21-04 05:25 PM, #9
                                         RE: !@#$ OIL!, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-22-04 08:48 AM, #10
                                              RE: !@#$ OIL!, xtrickedeclipsex, Nov-23-04 09:16 AM, #11
                                                   RE: !@#$ OIL!, turbo8u, Nov-23-04 09:30 AM, #12
                                                        RE: !@#$ OIL!, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-23-04 09:33 AM, #13
                                                             RE: !@#$ OIL!, SILVERNT, Nov-23-04 03:45 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: !@#$ OIL!, turbo8u, Nov-23-04 06:40 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: !@#$ OIL!, xtrickedeclipsex, Nov-23-04 09:15 PM, #16
                                                                  RE: !@#$ OIL!, MR BLUNT 2gnt, Nov-26-04 09:51 AM, #17
                                                                       RE: !@#$ OIL!, turbo8u, Nov-26-04 09:55 AM, #18
RE: !@#$ OIL!, MR BLUNT 2gnt, Nov-26-04 10:12 AM, #19
RE: !@#$ OIL!, turbo8u, Nov-26-04 10:49 AM, #20
      RE: !@#$ OIL!, xtrickedeclipsex, Nov-27-04 05:48 AM, #21

turbo8uNov-19-04 09:16 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#79488, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 0
Nov-19-04 09:25 AM by turbo8u

or the increased crankcase pressure since you're compression breaking and have total seals its blowing its way through the headgasket?

i dont know man....i dont know

how much and who do you get a turbo rebuilt from? mine has a shit load of miles on it and needs some lovin

edit: now i know you have MS, and there is an option to either cut fuel (20.0 afr) on decel or you can add fuel (kinda like why the srt-4 makes popping sounds on decel) it's spraying fuel still, but not making useful power. so heres my point...are you sure the smoke is oil and not excess gas? maybe you just need to adjust that setting on the MS, im just grabbing at straws here

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

xtrickedeclipsexNov-19-04 09:41 AM
620 posts,
#79490, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 1
Nov-19-04 09:43 AM by xtrickedeclipsex

Originally posted by turbo8u
or the increased crankcase pressure since you're compression breaking and have total seals its blowing its way through the headgasket? i dont know man....i dont know how much and who do you get a turbo rebuilt from? mine has a shit load of miles on it and needs some lovin edit: now i know you have MS, and there is an option to either cut fuel (20.0 afr) on decel or you can add fuel (kinda like why the srt-4 makes popping sounds on decel) it's spraying fuel still, but not making useful power. so heres my point...are you sure the smoke is oil and not excess gas? maybe you just need to adjust that setting on the MS, im just grabbing at straws here

Yea, you can change the fuel on decel... I played with that setting a while. But no, i no for sure its oil. I NO that smell!! LOL! I HATE it! For sure its oil.

I thought maybe the total seals could be a culprit, but i don’t no. The comp test came out great. And the turbo has gone bad twice already, so im assuming it’s the turbo AGAIN...

Turbo City rebuilt my turbo. I thought they did good work, but I don’t know now.BHA…It was rebuilt like 3 weeks ago!

P.s, its so weird...ill drive , boost and nothing...then, if i do a good compression break,once i come to a stop, ALLLOOOTTTT of smoke comes, i mean ALOT...abotu 30 seconds it will go away...it dosent make sense, if the seal is gone again, it would do it always?

turbo8uNov-19-04 09:48 AM
10552 posts,
#79491, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 2

i definately suspect your headgasket, any oil in your coolant?

with total seals you'll have more crankcase pressure, and since you're boosting like what, 16psi now? the headgasket/headstuds need to be in tip top shape and torqued to like 90ft/lbs

check your coolant for oil or combustion gasses, i dont think its your turbo since its freshly rebuilt. you tapped the oil line to the back of the block this time around, right?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

JoshSpair.com

xtrickedeclipsexNov-19-04 10:30 AM
620 posts,
#79495, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by turbo8u
i definately suspect your headgasket, any oil in your coolant? with total seals you'll have more crankcase pressure, and since you're boosting like what, 16psi now? the headgasket/headstuds need to be in tip top shape and torqued to like 90ft/lbs check your coolant for oil or combustion gasses, i dont think its your turbo since its freshly rebuilt. you tapped the oil line to the back of the block this time around, right?

yup its in the block. we changed it this time. yea i boost 15-16 psi daily. checked the coolant right now...green, and pure. Oil, clean as fuck. and its not over heating..

turbo8uNov-19-04 06:18 PM
10552 posts,
#79506, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 4

well if the headgasket checked out, smoke on decel is turbo oil seal...so bring it back...they fucked up

the only for sure way to test the headgasket is a leakdown, just do one and see whats up to rule it out

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

JoshSpair.com

xtrickedeclipsexNov-19-04 09:33 PM
620 posts,
#79509, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 5
Nov-19-04 09:34 PM by xtrickedeclipsex

Yea, I doubt it’s the HG, but yeah, im going to do a leakdown test tomorrow. I had to order a new tester. I swear this turbo is a piece. It’s like my car doesn’t want it, it’s saying, give me more cfm...lol

p.s. lol its just me and you in this thread or what???

DJ420aNov-20-04 03:05 PM
Member since May 19th 2004
1219 posts,
#79524, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 6

You say your running total seals. Well as you know they cause so muck C/C pressure, they warn you about pulling oil through your PVC. Im just mentioning this cuz I had it happen to me. Hope you figure this out. I delt with an oil burning prob for 2 years before I figured it out, it was actually the total seal rings and not through the PVC. It was blowby.

MattchewNov-21-04 11:31 AM
Member since Oct 23rd 2003
340 posts,
#79533, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 7

Whens the last time you have your valve seals and guides looked at? Also how does it do if you let it sit and idle for 10-15 minutes and then drive it?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-21-04 05:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#79543, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 8

Valve stem seals or the PCV system. Check the PCV first ..

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-22-04 08:48 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#79551, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by DarkOne
Valve stem seals or the PCV system. Check the PCV first ..

yup i agree.....sounds more and more like valve seals. When my Antique mopar begines to overheat it does the same thing...all the guides expand and just let oil pass, already been verified one weekend this past summer. She gets head X2 this winter...lol I highly doubt its the turbo.

Terry

xtrickedeclipsexNov-23-04 09:16 AM
620 posts,
#79601, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 10

there was a kink in my return line...omfg...what did i do.

turbo8uNov-23-04 09:30 AM
10552 posts,
#79602, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by xtrickedeclipsex
there was a kink in my return line...omfg...what did i do.

doh

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

JoshSpair.com

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-23-04 09:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#79603, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 12

So? Fix it.

The turbo's fine. if you pressurize the CHRA, yeah, it's gonna leak oil. Doesn't mean its bad, it means you pressurized the CHRA.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

SILVERNTNov-23-04 03:45 PM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
4543 posts,
#79614, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 13

i looked in your photo album on your shops site. I noticed that you have your oil feed line coming from a hole tapped into the side of your cyl head on the drivers side. ever consider this to be a reason that you keep blowing turbos?

turbo8uNov-23-04 06:40 PM
10552 posts,
#79618, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by SILVERNT
i looked in your photo album on your shops site. I noticed that you have your oil feed line coming from a hole tapped into the side of your cyl head on the drivers side. ever consider this to be a reason that you keep blowing turbos?

...lol nail on head

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

JoshSpair.com

xtrickedeclipsexNov-23-04 09:15 PM
620 posts,
#79622, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 15
Nov-23-04 09:15 PM by xtrickedeclipsex

lol, its not any more. It hasn’t been for a while now.Its tapped on the block. Tapping into the head is NOT a good idea. As for the kink, I fixed it in like 5 min. I had no clue there was a kink, so I assumed the turbo was going out. Once I saw the kink, I knew the turbo most likely would be fine. I didn’t raise the car up until this morning(didn’t have any free lifts)

MR BLUNT 2gntNov-26-04 09:51 AM
Member since Mar 20th 2002
793 posts,
#79690, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by SILVERNT

I thought that was a really odd place to tap it in when I saw that pic forever ago. You could always run a hardline from the oil pressure sending unit. It not only looks very clean but would kill the chance of a kink.

400whp or bust.

turbo8uNov-26-04 09:55 AM
10552 posts,
#79691, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 17

Originally posted by MR BLUNT 2gnt
It not only looks very clean but would kill the chance of a kink.

his kink was in his return, not the feed

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

JoshSpair.com

MR BLUNT 2gntNov-26-04 10:12 AM
Member since Mar 20th 2002
793 posts,
#79692, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by xtrickedeclipsex
Fuck... OK, turbo went out once, we didn’t no why....Turbo went out a second time, found out there was a kink way back in the oil line....

He found one in the return as well, from his original post I took this as originally it was in his feed line, twice Was I wrong?

400whp or bust.

turbo8uNov-26-04 10:49 AM
10552 posts,
#79694, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 19

Originally posted by MR BLUNT 2gnt
Originally posted by xtrickedeclipsex Fuck... OK, turbo went out once, we didn’t no why....Turbo went out a second time, found out there was a kink way back in the oil line....
He found one in the return as well, from his original post I took this as originally it was in his feed line, twice Was I wrong?

no i think you're right

like he said before though, his oil line isnt in the head anymore, its back in the block like it should be...chris, you have the worst luck with turbos

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

JoshSpair.com

xtrickedeclipsexNov-27-04 05:48 AM
620 posts,
#79711, "RE: !@#$ OIL!"
In response to Reply # 20

1. First Time - We still dont no why
2. Second Time - Oil Feed Tapped in the HEAD, (wrong) and had a kink in the FEED (bad)
3. 3rd time - TURBO IS FINE.. Nothing happend to it. There was a kink in the RETURN line this time. I used the wrong kinda hose to make my return line, and it ended up kinking it self when the motor moved.

Yeah...Call me a BANME!...Honest mistake IMO

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #79487 Previous topic | Next topic